_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 6 May 2011

The Sew Urge

Before, when I worked outside of the home, I would sew in the mornings before work. Now, I write the blog, go for coffee, and read. My now self is not nearly as productive and has far fewer clothes than my then self only, I like my morning routine.

Some women I know do chores in the morning before work like cooking or cleaning. Other women I know run errands on the way to work. As much as I am able, I prefer leisurely mornings. I like getting to work relaxed and energized.




A few years ago, I was having a discussion with a friend about creating art versus writing. I concluded that it was quite possible I liked to write more than I liked to create although that could be phrased as create with words and create with textiles meaning I just like to create. As we talked about last week, there's only a certain kind of writing that I'm doing right now which is probably why I find/make time to write the blog each week even with having a new job. That said, there's a part of me that absolutely has to sew - create with textiles. My mind thinks in words and it thinks in fabric. It seems that writing and sewing are like air and water. I need both.





Last night, I was curled up in my chair reading when I got the sew urge. In the half hour before the news, I stitched the darts on the back bodice and back skirt as well as the waist seam and inserted the temporary zipper. On the front, I stitched the skirt darts, added the waist insert, and pinned the front pleats. If I had started sooner, I might have finished the muslin. If I hadn't started at all, I wouldn't be this far along. It's an example of the benefits of doing a bit each day. With the change - and exhaustion - of having a job, I'd gotten out of the habit.

The evaluation went well. The only area where I needed more work was knowing the current sales. Fabricland stores have a tremendous amount of sales that are constantly changing. I started working during the close-out when the entire store was on sale for members and non-members and the first three weeks at this new store have been similar so - as the manager pointed out - I haven't had time to develop sale awareness skills. It'll definitely come with working at the cash register. You have to know the discounts to ring them in. I did that for the afternoon. There's a lot to learn.

When I got to work yesterday, I'd been booked for two more shifts I didn't know about - this evening and tomorrow morning for four hours each. Luckily, I can work my plans around that. This morning, I need to pick up gifts for our sponsor children in Guatemala and then I want to finish the muslin. Grocery shopping would be appreciated too since I didn't get it done earlier in the week. We'll see what really happens. Have a great weekend.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - awareness and appreciation

2 comments:

  1. Yes, a little bit at a time adds up. Last night I cut out a pair of pants and sewed the pleats in a top I cut out awhile ago. I need some new clothes and I'm not about to buy stuff when I have so much fabric just waiting to be sewn.

    Have a great weekend.
    Oh, the cabinets will be painted some shade of white - I'm going for white and light in that dark kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sales awareness? Interesting concept.

    ReplyDelete