_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 31 May 2011

In Awe Of Annuals

With so much to do I felt a bit guilty however... yesterday morning... I chose to sew instead of garden. That way, I was clean and ready for work and could track my time better. I had no idea how long moving the plants was going to take. It was a good decision. It took forever. More about that later. First...




... here's the fabric for my skirt. Last week, I said I was a possibility shopper and that I rarely bought fabric for a specific and current project. This piece would be the exception to the rule. I'd been eyeing it up at work for quite a while without a project in mind and then bought it for a skirt for my birthday. I'm sewing...




... Simplicity 2451, the pink version but without the pockets. I don't need pockets and the print is so busy you'd never see the design lines anyway. The yokes are interfaced and sewn in place. The facings are attached, edge stitched, pressed, and pinned ready to hand stitch. I'm sewing the front and back separately and will do the zipper and side seams next. This works well for fitting.




The landscaper never came back to correct his work. A few emails went back and forth. It was like talking to a teenager. He was full of I can't as opposed to what can I do. Lots of excuses. In the end, I'm doing the job myself. I wanted this done before the weekend. It won't be. It'll be mostly done.

Last night, Howard re-cut the line of the new garden straightening it out more pretty. They'd cut a jagged sharp line with an abrupt end. He planted this hydrangea bush by the back patio. It's hearty with lime green flowers which I think is fabulous. My son says it's a green bush.

Planting it we discovered that there is NOT a foot of fresh soil. In fact, after the grass was taken off, there was barely a 1/2" skim. Not what we ordered. We'll have to take the plants back out at some point, dig down, and add the new soil. FRUSTRATING.




In the front, we'd needed drainage added to the garden. As I split the Lilies to take them around the back, I added and dug in peat moss shifting plants from one end to the other until I finished the middle area of the front garden. There are still two other portions that need peat moss. The soil we'd brought in last year had too much drainage. Go figure.




All those Lilies in the front and all the ones around the rock wall in the back came from the same five plants. I must have at least fifty in the front alone now. I am in awe of annuals. I only discovered them less than ten years ago. Yes - I know they were around before that - LOL - I just hadn't figured out why those plants were worth so much more money. Now I know. There's also a Hosta and some Sedum to move around the back and some weeding to do. I'm not sure when I'll get to that but at least the wall is more pretty for this weekend. We can enjoy the back patio.

Today - breakfast with a friend and then grocery shopping for the weekend and other errands and hopefully knit night tonight. I haven't been there in forever.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - annuals

3 comments:

  1. I love that print! So fresh and fun! I made that view of that pattern recently and was surprised at how much I like it. The yoke keeps the pleats nicely tamed. I think you'll like it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THe fabric is pretty!
    Just to clarify...hostas, lilies, sedum, etc, are perennials, not annuals :) And yes, they are definately worth the extra splurge. You can often find neighbours or people on Freecycle, or church plant sales, for great prices and hardy selection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't perennials awesome? I am a lazy gardener, I can't be sure that next spring I'll get into the garden in the ideal time for annuals. The only ones I buy are portulaca for the one spot that is dry and full sun. I tried 4 perennials there that never came back but my portulaca seem to thrive. Urban wildlife seem to eat the leaves from my crocus so even spring bulbs struggle in that spot. Your gardens look lovely. I know it's been a source of frustration for you, but the end result is pretty impressive.

    Can't wait to see the finished skirt.

    ReplyDelete