_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 3 May 2011

The Burda Patterns

The sun did not shine yesterday. I did clean the house. I did not finish my skirt. It is half done. That's as good things went. When it came time for installing the zipper and basting the side seams, somehow I wanted to read instead and then I wanted to start the next book in the series and then... and then... and then... it was bedtime.




These are the four Burda patterns I bought at the sale last week. I've been admiring 8327 for quite a while. As you can see, it's another one of those flippy, flirty skirts that I'm so attracted to. The "girls" at work think this would be perfect for summer in a floral fabric. Possibly. For now, I have the pattern. If it goes out of print, I still have the pattern.



7370 was featured on a Burda poster hung in the washroom of the Fabricland in Nanaimo. I saw it in February when I was there for a workshop and loved how swishy twirly the skirt was. I'm having "not appropriate for a women my age" thoughts and plan to ignore them. It's just too fun not to try - soon - since I'm continuing to age.




The bottom jacket of 7401 was on display at the Fabricland in Vernon when I was there a few weeks ago. It had been sewn in white linen and looked FABULOUS - the total reason why I was drawn to the pattern. I wish I could have tried the model on because even though the armhole is high cut, this is still a dolman sleeve. Normally those aren't so good but hopefully, with the higher cut, it'll look good on me.



I bought 7349 for the skirt pattern with it's asymmetrical lines however, the jacket is appealing to me more and more. Burda isn't one for giving a lot of information. The envelope back says linen or crepe fabrics. Something soft. I think a knit could work well.

This morning, I'm out for breakfast with a friend and then - once again - I'll attempt to finish the skirt. You'd never know I have a deadline - LOL. I think I'm a little bit bored sewing this style that I've sewn so many times before. Maybe I should have gone with something less "for sure". Oh well... and then again... I do have that fuchsia piece of raw silk too. Who knows.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a significant change in Canada's political landscape with a majority government, which hopefully means a change in how things are done, an end to juvenile squabbling, and the accomplishment of some serious work without the threat of an election every two minutes.

6 comments:

  1. Love your Grateful comments today, however, I must correct you on something. The American Government holds all rights to "juvenile squabbling". That said, you will need to inform your government officials that they are infringing on the American rights! LOL! Silly how these grown people act, isn't it???? blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Fabricland on Sunday and looked at that same Burda pattern (7401). I didn't buy it because - well, I wasn't sure about the sleeves, either. I did buy some black linen for summer trousers - in the wash now, hopefully to be sewn this week.

    I am very happy with the election results - hopefully, a more stable Parliament will end some of the endless bickering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If "The Donald" Trump is nominated for the presidential election in 2011 I am moving to Canada.

    Talk about an idiot with no concept of political vs. comedic. This is squabbling of the most juvenile if not the diaper set kind.

    I know that there are major differences between the U.S.A. and Canada. At the same time we all live so closely together and help in time of need that the border (except for Al Qaeda) should be open between the two countries.

    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio
    Sorry about the soap box speach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely patterns. I really like the kimono-sleeved one. The gusset (I can't tell if it's a separate piece or incorporated into the side piece) will make for a nice high armhole and good range of motion. The kimono shoulder, uninterrupted by an armhole seam, gives such a pretty look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Myrna - you have a good eye! I ramble through that Burda catalogue and sometimes see nothing. But I love the 7349! Thanks for the inspiration! Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting the pictures of the skirts. Though they are not my style (I am too casual a dresser for that style) you know I bought one for one the rodeo queen dresses I am making. Perfect choice :)And we are convincing her to have the mermaid off to the side too.
    Have fun making this skirt for yourself.

    ReplyDelete