_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 4 May 2011

The Purple Skirt

One of the reasons that Canadians talk about the weather so much is because we have lots - a wide variety. When my son was doing a school report on Germany, we were amazed to find that we experienced a wider range of temperatures and conditions in a single day than they experience in a year. This morning, the sun is shining. It's beautiful, warm, cheerful, and spring-like. I hope it lasts.

Yesterday, we had a crew arrive to clean up our yard and dig out a new garden in the back. It was supposed to be a treat - having someone else do the work - since Howard is about to head off to Guatemala. Instead, I'll be chatting with the owner about what his crew didn't do at all or didn't do well. I'm starting to feel like a really demanding employer only, if I'm paying to have something done, I expect it to be done and when there's still grass in the garden it hasn't been completely weeded and if the soil hasn't been turned over, nothing new has been dug in. It seems obvious to me but so frustrating. Sometimes, it's just easier to do it yourself. I've been thinking about that a lot lately because as I age, that won't be an option and I wonder how I'm going to deal with not being able to get the kind of help I want.




At one time, I would hire someone to put in zippers. Not even that long ago. Four years ago, I was nervous inserting the zipper in the lace skirt for my daughter's wedding especially as I hadn't sewn fashions in a really long time. Since then, I've taken one workshop with Pati Palmer who taught me how to use 1/8" basting tape to sew lapped and centered zippers and another workshop with Ron Collins who taught me how to use the generic zipper foot for invisible zippers. Both tools made a tremendous difference. I can now insert my own zippers. It's worth the work to learn how to do it yourself.




Waistbands have caused a lot of grief since my return to fashion sewing. Typically, I work like crazy to fit the garment only to discover later that the waist is too loose. Since my waist fluctuates greatly, it's entirely possible it's my body BUT... in case the garment has been stretching out... I opted to use black fusible tape along the waistband this time. It's adhered 1/8" over the seam line.



It intrigues me how someone who appears curvy can also be flat. After taking the waist in and curving out to the hips, I later knocked off the curve and made a straight line from the 5/8" seam allowance at the waist to the 3/8" seam allowance at the hips. The center front and center back seams weren't altered as they're already straight and I left the seams at side back since that curve incorporates the dart. Both side seams and the two front side seams were straightened. I find it frustrating to constantly fine tune and adjust the seams but then again, I like a smooth fit so... that's the way it goes.




In the end, I left out the lining and decided to wear a slip. I'll make a snug, figure forming, knit one that will flatter the lines of the skirt and - since I wear this style frequently - it'll work with several skirts. Instead, I used bias tape to finish the waist.




The purple skirt is finished although it was disappointing to find in the end - even after checking after sewing the seam - that the top of the zipper was ever so slightly off. It won't be noticeable since a top will cover the waistband but, I wish it wasn't there. Oh well. Sewing is like that.

I woke up with a headache this morning. Other than coffee with my friend who just got back from a trip to Quebec, I'm not sure what I have planned today. Depending on how I'm feeling, we could use a few groceries and I might start on the muslin for the dress that I'm sewing next. Tomorrow I'm working.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - today is both my son-in-law's and my friend Caroline's birthday. I'm glad they're in my life. Happy Birthday.

4 comments:

  1. Would love to see a full photo of the purple skirt...Congrats on finishing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to Caroline and your son-in-law.

    Fashion sewing always means a lot of tweaking. Which is why, at this point in my life, I do very little of it.

    I hope your headache goes away and you enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you find the fused bias tape doesn't do the trick at the waist, try sewing twill tape into the waist seam allowance, about 1/16-1/8" below the actual seam. That will prevent any stretching of the fabric. I wish I had a tip for the stretching of the (my) body below it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you please have a really nice picture of you and your son at the graduation taken so that we can see the entire outfit. I cannot wait for this.
    Is your son going to Guatemala with your husband? I remember that last year they drove down with some new busses. Are they taking the easy way this year?
    Have a nice day. Hope the headache is all gone by the time you read this.
    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete