_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 13 May 2011

Border Print Fun

Blogger was acting quite strangely yesterday. First the posting disappeared, then reappeared, then disappeared again. This morning, it was still gone plus Blogger was unavailable for editing or posting. It's three in the afternoon. I worked this morning, ran some errands, and now will try to post before sewing.




When I picked up the bacopa yesterday, this beautiful bouquet of flowers was near the cash register. It's a gerber-like daisy with lilies, some kind of lime green flower, and red berries. I've no idea what all is in it but it's a pretty bouquet. I bought it from Howard - LOL. The roses he gave me for Mother's Day died way too quickly. These will last much longer.




Blurry pictures. S0rry. My son took them in a hurry but you get an idea of what the dress looks like. The bodice has two deep pleats each side. I'm going to make three smaller and possibly rotate some of the dart to the side for the next version - plus sleeves. Otherwise, I wore it to work today and it was quite comfortable.





My boss critiqued the fit and suggested taking a slight bit out of the width across the back at the underarm level as well as smoothing out the hip a bit more. It's so nice when someone gives you actual advice instead of just saying it looks nice. The back...



... has a pleat instead of a dart. That may account for some of the fullness. I may convert it to a dart. Definitely, I'll move it further toward the side seam. I think it's too close to center back and should be between the two skirt darts.

The border print was a lot of fun to work with. I have several in stash but don't recall sewing with them in a really long time. With its straight bottom, this pattern - out of print Vogue 8409 - was perfect.




The wrap front was okay. It sat against the chest quite well without gaping. That's most likely due to the trick with the fusible tape. That said, the bodice of Burda 7378 above and Butterick 5490 below both seemed like a possible substitution with less cleavage on display - particularly with the Burda.



I'm not sure how much I'll get done this weekend. The carpenter who was supposed to come Tuesday to put the new window in Howard's office is - hopefully - coming tomorrow. He said he "should" get "mostly" done. Hmm... that sounds like possible frustration. Hopefully some sewing and some grocery shopping also happens, perhaps even some laundry and some cooking too.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - people who are technically minded and can actually resolve issues like Blogger. Imagine!

8 comments:

  1. I love, love, LOVE the dress. So much so that I would try making it myself but I think I'd be disappointed that it wasn't in the same fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous, a perfect match of fabric and pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun dress.

    Yes, Blogger was down yesterday and part of today - it's been a hassle for a lot of people. Makes me realize how fragile our systems really are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a fun dress on you. It is wonderful that your boss was able to assist you with the fitting.

    And yes, blogger has been a royal pain these last couple of days...*sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dress looks super! Great use of the border print.

    How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you want to look at one more pattern with a similar look to your Vogue one, check out Simplicity 2217: http://www.simplicity.com/p-5910-misses-amazing-fit-dresses.aspx

    I just finishing sewing it up in a stretch sateen with a large all over floral design. This is an "Amazing Fit" pattern which means it's designed with 1" seams and a few other fit helps. My version turned out wonderfully, and I see more dresses from this pattern in my near future.

    I like your new dress and can imagine you'll get lots and lots of wear from it.
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dress turned out just gorgeous! I left a comment on an earlier post of this dress, but I think it was one of the one's that blogger swallowed, but good to see you resolved all the issues satisfactorily!
    Thank you for your kind words on my Mum's jacket. She was thrilled to get so many compliments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely dress! It's great that you have a boss who can help with fitting advice. I often wish for somebody like that here. (I can get plenty of help with quilting and knitting, but not with garment sewing.)

    ReplyDelete