_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 20 May 2011

Free Fabric

It was unbelievably slow at work last night with only a handful of customers and a lot of clean-up to do. I spent half the night neatening the cottons - again - and the other half working on the till, which means tidying trims and elastic and other packaged and cut notions. That's the first time I've been on the till since training weeks ago. Luckily, I remembered most everything although I looked like an absolute ditz for the first few customers.




One of the perks of my job is a project every month once you've finished your probationary period. Luckily, mine coincided with the inventory reduction and move when no one was sewing projects anyway. Twelve free projects is a great bonus. I received my first set of free fabric last night. A t-shirt knit for my favourite New Look 6735 and a light-weight, medium blue denim for the new Burda 7349 skirt. The project(s) has to be sewn and back in the store in two weeks and hangs up for a month and then it's mine. This two weeks is a bit tight but luckily...




... my Mother of the Grad dress is finally cut out. The lace wasn't slippery and the details could be clearly seen and lined up on top of each other so I was able to cut two layers at once. I should have cut out the lining first so the pattern would have stayed pinned to the lace until I needed it BUT, I didn't. Now, I'll cut the lining pieces out one at a time as needed and baste them to the lace before moving forward. The bodice pieces will be treated as one and the skirt pieces added separately.

The sun is shining - again. It's wonderful and supposed to be 27 degrees today. Hot. YES YES. Howard phoned last night and he's in Canada, about three hours away and anticipates being home around noon, which means the first thing I need to do this morning is get beautiful and then I can work on the dress for a bit. Can't have my hubby coming home to a frump. Have a great - long - weekend.

Talk soon, Myrna

Grateful - free fabric

5 comments:

  1. Oh happy homecoming day.

    The free project looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Free fabric - how wonderful! Happy husband-returning day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last paragraph made me smile - enjoy the weekend with your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Free projects, MOG dress cut, hubby coming home, and sunshine ... what a great day! Enjoy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I'm glad that so many things are coming together. And free fabric for such a great project is an amazing perk!!

    ReplyDelete