_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 17 May 2011

Prototype Two

This week will be less broken up than I thought. Yesterday - paint brush in hand, paint splattered clothes, hair ugly, and no make-up - work phones asking where I am. Apparently, I was supposed to work Monday afternoon. I had Tuesday written down with Monday's date. Go figure. I will double check that they don't need me today before I start painting the trim but it appears that I have the day off.

My son took pictures of prototype two. When I asked him whether he liked this bodice or the other one better, he said I don't know. It's not finished yet. That's why he automatically cut my head off. He thought this was a muslin. When I asked him why, he said it's plain blue. LOL - apparently, it looks like broadcloth even though it's silk with embroidery. Is it too plain or prissy? What do you think?




In the front, do you think I need more room in the bust or is it just the nature of this type of pleat to pull like that? I was wondering if I need slightly more length or should I widen the one pleat a bit?




In the back, what's with those wrinkles from the shoulder to the underarm? I can't decide if there's too much or not enough. Does the underarm need to be longer or the shoulder higher? The silk makes it hard to photograph. The light captures every dipple and dent. (And it needs a black slip)

Because I'm in danger of over fitting, I'm trying to stand back and evaluate before jumping to conclusions. I do need to alter the hip area and raise the curve up higher to prevent that flat dimple on the side. Otherwise, what do you think? Feedback - please - before I move on to the real thing.




Sunday night, I had the urge to clean my closet. This fur collar was originally on a sweater I bought second hand. It pilled horribly so I cut off the collar and threw out the sweater. I put the collar on Millicent to figure out how I'd apply it to a new garment and thought she looked elegant enough to have her picture taken.




This is the downstairs hallway. I'm taking the picture from part up the hall near my studio. The guest room is at the far end. In-between, on the right, is my husband's office. It was a windowless room and, as you can see, that made both the room and the hallway dark. I love light so I have been wanting...




... to add a window for years. Plus, all the computers are in there and sometimes there's four boys playing and it's hot and starts to smell like a locker room so... fresh air has great appeal. It's a different time of day but you can see the light coming from that window and how much brighter it is now. YES YES



I tried a new patching product. It goes on pink and turns white when it's dry. For deep patches like this 1" x 2" hole, it's perfect. I would have thought it was dry already when I took this picture. The pink spot told me otherwise. It sanded off nicely too.




When I met my husband, I'm not sure that he knew there were other colors in the world besides beige and brown. Last time I painted his office, he didn't want it too dark. This time, he asked me to paint it darker. The color (left wall) is Benjamin Moore 824 and the lighter one is 821, the color it used to be. We had almost a whole gallon of the 824, paid for, ready and waiting. With white trim and cupboards, it'll be perfect IF... I get the painting done. Last night, the carpenter was STILL finishing up at dinner time and is coming back for something this afternoon. What was supposed to be a one day job has been three and a bit. I'm very tired of people in my house.

Carrie wrote - Tell Howard he has one fan who's impressed with his shopping abilities. What a man! The closest my dear husband ever got to buying fabric was some boat canvas for his Bayliner. LOL! It's a rare man who will shop for fabric for his wife.

Howard has many fans. He's an amazingly nice man. Shopping of any kind is not really his thing, hence the pictures to chose from. Typically, I "help" him buy my presents with phrases like I thought you might like to give me this necklace for Mother's Day. He finds that a lot easier. It would be more that he was looking for something he knew I'd like in the market. Last time he was in Guatemala, he tried to find some interesting wool and there wasn't any. Eight meters is a lot of fabric. I assume they don't cut the pieces and that's a standard length for something or he's a tourist and he doesn't know because he surely doesn't shop for fabric at home. We'll find out when he gets here - soon - Friday - YES YES

Since I have today off - I think - I'll paint the trim and then sew something for our anniversary and/or my birthday next. Now that I have two prototypes, the "mother of the grad" dress shouldn't take too long to finish when I get to the actual sewing. A palate cleanser first will make it more fun.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a window, light, paid for paint, the ability to apply it neatly

2 comments:

  1. The blue silk dress is beautiful. I agree that something needs to be done with the bodice and the back...but not being as knowledgeable as you with fashion sewing I cannot advise.

    The lace at the bottom adds that something special that sets the dress apart from the usual.
    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll agree that the bodice doesn't look quite right. It pulls across the bust points, making a diamond shape of the gathers. As to the back, I just don't know.

    Love the color and the border detail.

    ReplyDelete