_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 11 May 2011

The I'm In Love Stage

Wendy was over to sew last night. That was good for two reasons. One, I was able to work on my dress and two, she has not been making much progress on her quilt as we haven't been able to get together with any regularity since the end of January due to my new job and her being an accountant and doing personal and corporate year ends.




I love Millicent for lots of reasons - like fitting when there are males working out in your yard and you can't whip off your clothes and try on your muslin in front of the open window - one of which is looking at my work in progress. This dress is at the I'm in love stage. Hopefully, when I try it on, I'm still in love.




One thing that I'm NOT in love with is Amazon's Kindle. In December, when Howard bought me the Kobo e-reader from Chapters, I thought I wanted a Kindle. At that time, Amazon had a larger selection of books for less expensive prices. For Mother's Day I did get one and I don't like it. Not only is the Kobo easier to work with and - IMHO - has a better presentation, in the few months in-between things have shifted. Now, Chapters almost always has the less expensive price as well as coupons for additional discounts and their selection has expanded significantly. They've had every book I've wanted to buy in the last few months. It could be me, I'm not one for bells and whistles, but I didn't like it and it was too expensive to have sitting around so I sent it back and...




... replaced it with this outrageously priced pendant necklace at less than half the price which means I still have some money to spend - on a desk chair - and an area rug - for my studio - if I can find what I want - before my birthday - for a combined gift.




Isn't this just wonderfully eccentric? I love it. It's much prettier and less gaudy looking in person and will look fabulous with any black or solid coloured t-shirts or dresses. LOL - I just might have to sew something to go with my necklace.




This fall, we will have lived in this house for seven years. That's a really long time for us. We've moved quite often. For the first five years, the back yard was unfinished and my view was of dirt and weeds. Last year, we had grass and the back deck poured however, with Howard's back surgery, we didn't get any further. Yesterday, I planted these containers. It's so nice to have a lovelier view now.

As I was driving home from the plant store, with my trunk loaded with annuals, I was thinking about my husband on a mission trip in Guatemala where buying plants would seem like the oddest thing and a completely unaffordable expense. I am blessed to live where I live and to have what I have. My life hasn't been without difficulties and tragedies however, those are few. Most of the time, I am warm, dry, clothed, fed, and live in a gorgeous shelter with many options of how to spend my time and money. I don't want to be complacent, to forget to be thankful. I want to give back in as many ways as I am able whether that's giving money to tsunami and earthquake relief, supporting the JDRF and other causes, sponsoring children, contributing to mission work, or just giving away my excess fabric and supplies. There is always some way to continue the flow of gratitude and love. That's important.

This morning, I'm working and then I'll drive over to the school and get tickets for the grad banquet and pick up my son and then we're going back to the plant store for a few more Bacopa and then home and hopefully, sometime after dinner, I'll get to sew some more. I hope to finish the dress and slip today.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - living in Canada, quality of life

3 comments:

  1. We do indeed have much to be thankful for here in Canada. It's good to take the time to be deliberate about gratitude.

    I hope your sewing goes well today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress is looking nice on the dressform. I really like that border print. Can't wait to see it on you.

    And I like (and envy) your planters. After a few warm days, snow and temps below 40F have returned to our neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One word for that necklace, Myrna: WoooHoo!!! Fabulous! Drool.

    O.k. Three words.

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete