_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 27 May 2011

Possibility Shopping

It poured all day yesterday which made it good to be inside - with no guilt - thinking that I should be out moving the plants around in the garden although I would like them in place by the first weekend in June. I'm running out of time especially as I'm working Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Thursday night and have appointments and company coming on Friday. We'll see what happens.




Since brown isn't a "normal" color for me, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on special jewelry to go with this dress. I've owned both of these necklaces for several years. The green is much closer to the lining color than it looks in this picture and the amber is less orange in real life. Good and enough. Now, I need shoes. I have some green ones with brown heels but unfortunately it's a blue green. Doesn't go.




Neither of the two prototype dresses felt especially comfortable to wear. The blue one was definitely too small through the bust and the print one gaped considerably - too much information. While Sharon was pinning the lace hem, I had her trace my waistline and then...




... I cut off the bodice and added a waistband. It's only okay. I finished the blue one, tried it on, and decided not to bother with the print. It looked like a bowling ball on my hips with a dimpled side. By the time I took it apart to make all the necessary changes, I'd have sewn a whole new skirt. That seemed like a better idea. The fabric was $1.50, cheap for muslin material. I was going to call this posting Now A Skirt.... but now... NOT!




One thing I did learn - now that I know how to install invisible zippers - is to extend the zipper through the waistband and eliminate the need for a button. It's much neater, more fitted, easier, and less time consuming. The Burda skirt used this method.




The top of the zipper is extended about a 1/2" above the finished edge of the waistband and then the zipper is stitched in place. Afterward, the top edge is turned over and sewn to the seam allowance as illustrated above. Works like wonderful.

While I was hand stitching the binding around the lace hem the other night, I thought about Victoria's recent posting about one occasion dresses. Victoria sews FAR MORE dresses than I do. I have a lot of skirts and tops but not that many dresses. The ones that I do sew tend to be for an occasion - like my anniversary, or grad, or a wedding. They're very definitely one occasion and I rarely wear them again. At times, I've thought that was wasteful. At other times, I've been just fine with it because typically I do a lot of learning through the fitting of that garment and I sew it from quality fabric bought inexpensively. I seem to have two categories of clothing - one occasion wear and practical and interchangeable everyday. What about you?

I was talking with a customer the other day about our buying habits. She picks a project and then very slowly accumulates the necessary fabrics and supplies, hopefully on sale. I buy quality fabric on sale and then use it when the right occasion comes up. I call it possibility shopping. It's very rare for me to acquire fabric for a specific project that will be sewn immediately.

With my friend's sister's house burning down and her starting over, I've though a lot about what if it was me. How or to what degree would my shopping habits change? Would they change? Am I happy with how I approach things?

For the most part, I'm okay with my approach. The only thing that holds me back from being 100 percent happy is that I'm slightly over-stashed at the moment but not to any kind of "hoarder" level PLUS I'm making use of that stash as you've seen with the two prototype dresses. Soon, it'll be at a more acceptable - to me - level. Would you and how would you change your approach?

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a quiet day in the studio

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE the necklaces and the way you've paired them. They look amazing together and with the dress.
    I, like you, am a skit/pants and tops for everyday, with special occasion dresses that seldom get worn. I've made a couple of dresses recently that were "just because". Hopefully I'll think to wear them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats a pity about the prototype dresses - the green dotty one looked really nice .could you wear a nice singlet top or a brooch to prevent the too much information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to wear dresses but lately have been more separates oriented. Therefore I don't have many dresses at the moment even though I would like to get back to wearing them more.

    In the past I have had an occasional one-time dress, usually a very dressy one, but most of the time I wear them again, or if they are not specifically evening wear, find other ways to wear them.

    ReplyDelete