_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 1 June 2011

In Praise Of Perennials

TracyKM wrote - Just to clarify... hostas, lilies, sedum, etc are perennials, not annuals :)

LOL - yes. You're right. I keep forgetting that come back every year does not mean an annual event. The event is paying. Perennial is perpetual and annual is buy it over and over. Thanks. I should have called yesterday's posting In Praise of Perennials instead of In Awe of Annuals. I have some of those too - mixed in and in the planters I showed previously.



I bought some more - perennials that is. When the landscapers cleared the garden debris somehow the two Liatris plants disappeared. They're so gorgeous and the color exactly matches my doors and chairs. I still wanted them so I picked up six for the front. This year, they'll be spaced. Next year, I'll split them and fill in the area more and - eventually - split and move some to the back yard. My back yard is all splits off the front. So fun. So free plants.



And... this lavender topiary. It's rated as hearty. I hope so. I'm rated as dangerous.




Along with grocery shopping and a million errands, the facings are hand stitched and then top stitched in place. The seams allowances are finished and ready to fit and stitch. For the hem, I'm trying something new to see how it works. I fused 1" strips of interfacing to the hem, finished the edge, and then...




... pressed it upward. It'll be machine stitched in place. I want to see if the extra weight helps the skirt to lay nicely or whether it's just a pain. We'll see. First, the zipper.

Today, is house cleaning and planting those plants and picking up a birthday present for my friend who'll be here on the weekend. I was juggling things to have tomorrow free before work so I'm hopeful all will be done by tonight.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - perennials

4 comments:

  1. The topiary looks like spainish lavendar. I have them in my gardens here in Texas, don't over water and you should be ok. I have never seen them as a topiary.

    Memawsews in Ft Worth, TX
    lorine@swbell.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It's rated as hearty. I hope so. I'm rated as dangerous."

    LOL!!! Me, too. My thumb is so black, I kill cactus. In Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post and the perennials.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband can't remember the difference either :) He totally thinks that cause they come back every year,that means they are annuals. I love your defination of "paying every year" for annuals!
    I love liatris too! And I really love lavender, but I've never seen a topiary! In our current house we inherited a large raspberry bed, which I LOVE, but miss having flowers to cut for inside too.

    ReplyDelete