_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 24 June 2011

Same Style Different Print

Work was extremely busy yesterday however, there was also a lot of staff on. At some points we were tripping over each other and trying to find things to do since five people cannot cut at a two people table unless the third customer only wants trims cut - not drapery rolls. The evening looked like it was going to be just as busy when I left at 5:30 with less staff. That should work better.



I didn't wear this skirt. I wore one with the same style different print. I bought five of these skirts when I was in Portland quite a few years ago. They were on sale for $4.99 - less than the cost of the fabric.




The floaty upper layer is cut on the bias. Normally that doesn't work for me however, the underneath layer is a lining cut on the straight of grain with a flounce added to the bottom. The lining keeps the bias skirt from hugging every bump and curve. I get a lot of compliments when I wear these skirts only I'm not sure if they're for the pretty skirt or how I look in it. It's typically a "love your skirt" type comment. If I were sewing them, I'd take in the side seams at the knee section slightly to give more shape.




Erica B sewed this Vogue 8392 top back in 2008 when it was - most likely - a new pattern. I loved her version and - since it's still in the books - decided to use it for the top of my June project at work. I intended to pair it with...




... the pants from Simplicity 2654 for a slightly vintage look only I read - with surprise - on Roobeedoo's blog yesterday that the pattern was out of print. Simplicity's website hadn't noted that as Vogue's does so I'd assumed - wrongly - that it was okay. We have to sew current patterns at work so...




... I switched to the pants from Vogue 8717 that have a similar feel. The bottoms look like they're cuffed in the picture. They're not. It's illustrating a machine stitched hem. I also like the jacket on this pattern. I may use it for a future project.




The fabrics are from a series called The Piano Keys, not that that means anything. The print for the blouse is similar to a burnout. You can see through it in parts. The pant fabric is very deceptive. It looks like denim in this photo when it's quite floaty but weighted, like a double fabric, hard to describe. The back is actually gold. Both are 100% polyester. Once I finish the other pair of flannel pants for Aryck and the pair for Kyle, I'll start on these. Sunday maybe.

Kyle is so excited to get going that he has the car packed already. I'd planned to leave closer to noon and time the return trip to get back in time to go straight to work at five. He's planning to leave the minute he wakes up. I imagine it'll be some kind of compromise in the middle with me being nagged out the door. Too funny. Have a great weekend.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - free projects at work. YES YES

5 comments:

  1. I love your pics for this project. It's too bad you can't use the Simplicity as I really love the shaped waistband, but the Vogue is lovely as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the blouse pattern cut out (the white version but I'm using a floral). It's still a pretty pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a pretty skirt. Your other skirts are more flattering, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the skirt and I encourage you to shape it with your sewing skills, the way you'll feel more comfortable wearing the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your new sewing plans...That Vogue pattern is gorgeous, both the pants and jacket both!
    Thank you so much for your comment. I understand the legal age for drinking differs in Canada depending on the province. That must get confusing in towns on either side of THOSE borders...

    ReplyDelete