_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 29 June 2011

Relax And Have Fun

We've been prepping for inventory at work (Fabricland) for the past few weeks. By the end of this week, all the tables will be laid down - that means stacking each fabric by name - and early next week, we'll start weighing and recording everything. It's a HUGE job.

Yesterday, I worked on the Bargain Center. I touched every single bolt of fabric in there and NOT ONE intrigued me. LOL - I'm not sure whether this is good or bad. Since starting work in January, I've bought way less fabric. Considering the state of my stash, that part is good.




You can't see my outfit in this picture but you can see how long the store is. In front of the picture, are the offices, washrooms, staff room, and the storage and receiving room. Just getting from front to back of the store is an exercise program never mind putting bolts back. One day, I'll remember to strap on a pedometer and see how much I actually travel.




badmomgoodmom wrote - My only quibble is that I should have added width to the sleeve when I added length. YMMV, but I found the pattern went together well and was a quick sew.

What does YMMV stand for? It's not coming to me. This draft was the first sleeve with the ruffles. It uses the fourteen sleeve cap and the eighteen bicep width otherwise it would have been way too snug. Then... as you can see... I shortened the sleeve cap for my petite adjustment and then altered it for my tipped shoulder. Later, when I changed views, I used the same cap and width but made the plain sleeve, adding length, and straightening the hem. That curved angle makes my biceps look wider. Straight seems to be more flattering.

Lorrie wrote - I like the yellow version of the pattern. When you said you were going to make the ruffled sleeve version, the first thing I thought of was - what a way to make me look wider across the bust.

LOL - on me, that wouldn't have been such a bad thing. I'm certainly not over endowed.




I plan to finish this top today. Before I do more work on the collar, I'll sew in the sleeves and finish the side seams to make sure everything hangs exactly right. Then, I can determine what changes to make to the collar band which as you can see is too big. When I adjusted the armhole, it changed the neckline and even though I retraced the original shape, it's not quite exactly the same. The band is meant to lay flat.

For three different versions of this Vogue 8392 top, check here and here and here. Same pattern. Different results. Isn't that fun and illustrates one of the reasons I sew - to get what I want, in the color I want, fitting me. Although I loved the color of Erica's version and everything looks good on her, in the end I'm more attracted to the simpler versions and love the idea of sewing the pattern out of a knit. For a work project, I can't make any style changes as the projects are meant as advertising.

Carolyn wrote - I've been reading along on your journey but haven't commented lately. I think it's interesting to watch you go through this process. I second Clio's comments about buying the basics. I can't remember the last time I made a t-shirt or a basic tank top. My sewing time is limited and I want to get the most enjoyment from it so I only sew the major things... pants, skirts, and dresses!

LOL - watching is probably more fun than going through it. Sometimes, I feel like such a case especially when I keep circling back to the same topic. That said, we each have a topic that intrigues us and encouraging people (myself and others) to be fully who they are has been a constant interest in my life for years emerging in different formats.

It takes at least three hours to clean the Bargain Center at work so I had lots of time to think about buying clothes versus sewing them yesterday. Fit is a huge issue. When I adjust my patterns, I take out 1" through the armhole and 1" through the crotch depth to adjust for petite proportions. Those kinds of alterations are hard to do to RTW although I've recently discovered that petite t-shirts fit fairly well. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of choice in town.

I'm short waisted so my legs are longer than the petite format although the crotch depth is perfect. Unless they are a long style, the petite pants are too short which again means there isn't much selection BUT... possibly... I could find a few skirts or capris that might work.

The frustration of fit is one big reasons why I sew but I can see that I'll need to do something to get ahead of the game. I also debated whether I should start sewing fall clothes now - VBG - since we don't seem to be getting summer anyway only... I'm debating an exercise program and that would change my measurements so I'm not sure yet. There's always something.

Yesterday, on Inside Out Style, Imogen interviewed Jacqueline Peros. When I saw Jacqueline's picture, my first thought was I like that sweater. Later in the interview, in response to the question what is the secret to great style, Jacqueline said, I think it (is) about how you present your uniqueness which is done by understanding your personality. It's interpreting a trend or even a classic with a twist that can only be owned by you. She then described her personal style as a mix of modern classics with a touch of drama. It made me think again about trying too hard, about being too familiar with my own style so as to find it boring when it's not really, and about the need to simply take those basic shapes that I know I like and look good on me and have fun with them - like Carolyn does with her T & T dresses. To RELAX and HAVE FUN.

Carolyn also wrote - Finally, your fabric collection. Definitely purge from it what you don't like... but you will only replace it with things that are more you now. I know because I went through this exercise 6 years ago when I moved to this apt. Now my fabric collection is twice the size it was before - but it's all me at this stage of my life now.

In February, I gave away a LOT of fabric and there is still TONNES left. It's oozing all over the place, out of its allotted space. I can't find what I'm looking for. I can't remember what I have. That doesn't work for me.

Every year, I sort through my fabric at least twice but somehow, the amount of fabric there has grown unreasonably big. Perhaps, I had newbie eyes and bought every good deal in sight when I returned to fashion sewing even though I was only returning to as opposed to just starting. Whatever the reason, in order to get the stash down to what I consider a workable size, I may need to get rid of "good" pieces and well as "bad" ones... and that's okay.... if I can do it. I'll donate the fabric and that helps. I always feel it's better if someone else has the opportunity to do something with it rather than it sitting here doing nothing.

Today, I'm sewing. Possibly tomorrow as well although I want to go to that clothing store I mentioned and I absolutely have to do some weeding so... who knows. Next week's schedule was up yesterday and I'm working a lot of hours especially at the beginning of the week. We have two weeks to sew the work projects so this one - top and pants - needs to be done by Monday. Hopefully the pants work out much better than the top has and are a quick sew.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - sewing today

3 comments:

  1. YMMV = your mileage may vary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to post the 3 links. All 3 look so different and I am inspired to pull out the pattern and make it in a knit.

    I, too, have to ask the younguns at work about YMMV and TTUL (talk to you later). I blame my midlife weight gain on the 20somethings at work that taught me to text msg them for Q rather than walk over to their offices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why not sell some of your fabric? You could box it - let's say 4 lbs of fabric - and sell it for X amount of dollars. You could aim to have at least 2 different fabrics in each box - maybe 3? Anyone who follows your blog knows they would be purchasing some very nice fabric. It would be win win - you would get a few bucks for new fabric, and the lucky buyers would receive new inspiration!

    BJ in Texas

    ReplyDelete