_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 21 June 2011

The Last Three

I feel apart at work yesterday. Since those 3 1/2" heels were a little unreasonable to work in, I wore some cute little flats - which then tore up the back of my left heel. I was in the staff washroom, getting a bandaid, when a "gentleman" kept calling me. When I came out, bandaid in hand, he said he needed a particular kind of fabric and there was no-one to help him to which I replied, you passed quite a few people on the way back here.

He then began to complain about how this or that person wouldn't help him. The cashier, the woman at that cutting table, and so on. Hmm... apparently they were to drop all and run, abandon till and customer. Realizing he'd go on and on, I asked what fabric were you looking for which didn't stop the recitation so I asked again to which he replied forget it, I'm leaving, I don't like the service.

It was one of those bite your tongue moments or I'd have said something about not liking some customers. Wow. You've got to wonder at the attitudes that some people go through life with. It must be quite a burden carrying that much anger around. SO...




... continuing the story, he left, I put the bandaid on, and then at lunch changed shoes to some kitten heels I've worn before. Both big toes were poking out leaving three holes in my relatively new nylons. We have new stress mats at work. They have holes in them. Holes the exact size to trap my heel. After that, I'd move and the mat would come with me. Bending down once to set myself free, the wire on the right bra cup poked through and then another time, the wire on the left bra cup.




AND THEN... I was wearing one of those shaper type slips with the gripping strip at the bottom. All it did was walk its way up my thighs ending up at crotch level. NOT too effective. It was rather quite funny and for the most part hidden. As one of my co-worker's said - you still look good.




I finished the last three t-shirts on the weekend. I was determined to move on to other projects. I don't know the exact content of each fabric although I do know they're all rayon blends because I was trying to find a fabric like my favourite RTW t-shirt which is 98% rayon and 2% lycra. The pattern is exactly the same t-shirt to t-shirt. The results are vastly different. It's an experiment in the fabric factor. You saw the pink one on me yesterday. I'll get pictures of the others on me as well so you can see what a difference the fabric makes.




Friday's bread trip was another interesting experiment. My friend Sharon came with me and we stopped at another friend's for lunch - intending to have fresh bread - only that didn't go quite the way we'd planned. The bread is baked in tins. Small tins. As you can see, the straight section of the bread is a mere 3 1/2" which made for seven 1/2" slices including the bottom crust.




The first loaf - the one that we tried to eat at Lorraine's - was hallow in the middle. The baker thought she might have hit it too hard to loosen it from the can so she'd warned me in advance and given me a free mix for a future loaf. Normally, I'd have declined to buy that loaf - especially at $5.50 each - only she'd gone out of her way to bake for me on what was normally her day off so I didn't feel I had that option. The bread was okay. It left an aftertaste and made me itchy. Checking the mix later, we discovered that it contained corn starch so that didn't work. If I'm going to eat bread that contains something I shouldn't have, there's a pre-made brand called Udi that I can buy right in town that tastes fairly good.




The trip wasn't a total loss though. We went to Fabricland first where we shopped and visited with a friend who works there. Luckily, she was just about to go for coffee. This store has Kwik Sew patterns which we don't so I bought 3691 above for the pink top and 3156 below for the pants which looked much better in the sewn image. After that, we had a fun lunch with Lorraine and on the way home stopped at an incredibly inexpensive, with lots of variety, bulk food store that we'll most likely go to again. All good.





I thought Kyle had an exam this morning but apparently it's this afternoon which messes up my schedule however, since I'm not working, I can shuffle it. Coffee with a friend. Some errands. Some sewing. And the sun is finally (or briefly) shining for this first day of summer so I want to be sure and get outside to enjoy it for a bit.

Tonight is knitting. If I'm going, I need to get out my project and figure out where I'm at so I can be somewhat productive. Attending regularly isn't working out well with work. By the time I get home, it's almost six o'clock and we have to be at the mall before 6:30 when the doors are locked. That's not enough time to un-wind and eat and get there and since I work most Tuesdays, I haven't gone in forever. I'll have to re-introduce myself... again... LOL!

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - sunshine

3 comments:

  1. It takes all kinds. No sense in taking a poor customer personally, it takes a lot of effort to hold in that much anger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still remember a "customer" experience like yours from years ago. The store I was working in used Secret Shoppers to attempt to ensure customers got good service. This woman sought me out in the back of the store where I was stocking something. We talked about what she needed, I got some bit of dust or something caught in my throat and started coughing and when I couldn't seem to control it I called to another employee to assist this customer and I excused myself to get a drink to clear my throat. When I got back on the floor the customer was at the cutting counter and I went up and asked her if she'd gotten what she needed. As you can probably guess, she was a Secret Shopper. A few weeks later the report showed up lambasting me for abandoning her so I could get a drink of water. The worst part was, my manager was so impressed with my customer service she had requested that the Secret Shopper evaluate me - if you got a good report you got a small bonus. My manager understood what had happened and told me not to worry about it, but it still smarts after all these years.

    I loved most of the customers I served in the many stores I worked in over the years. But there were some who just didn't want to be happy no matter how hard you tried.

    Lois K

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've definitely had an amazing day.
    Thank you for trialling the top in different fabrics. The way it turns out differenty can be frustrating but you've managed this really well.

    ReplyDelete