_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 9 June 2011

Curvy Feminine Flattering

I remember reading - in some self help, business management, advice type book - about a way of dealing with potential conflict by allowing others the opportunity to help you. Keeping that in mind, I packed up the damaged t-shirt with the responsible necklace and went back to the store where I bought it. Approaching the sales clerk, who was standing right beside the business owner, I said, I hope you can help me and then...




... pulled out the necklace and told them that I'd bought it last Friday and that I loved it only it didn't love me. Then I showed them the t-shirt and asked if I could exchange the necklace for another. They were more than accommodating. In the end, I bought a slightly more expensive necklace and paid the difference. It was a win-win. In my younger years, I wouldn't have handled things nearly as well and would probably have ended up stuck with a necklace I couldn't wear. This was so much better. They're going to return that one so they don't encounter the same problem with another customer - a good idea.



This is what I wore to work yesterday - the wrap top from the cap and gown ceremonies with a tulip skirt sewn from stretch denim. This style of skirt is my most popular, go to fashion. I find it curvy, feminine, and flattering. It's best sewn from fabrics with drape and flow. In stiffer fabrics, it mimics a tent (ask me how I know) which reminds me that it's not just the garment's style that matters, so does the fabric's factors.



The skirt is Burda 8213, a pattern I've sewn numerous times. It is probably my most sewn pattern. Currently, I have it sewn up and in my closet in the stretch denim, an embellished linen, and the raw silk. Several other versions have been sewn and have since made their way to the second hand store mostly due to (my) sizing changes.



Even though it's my favourite, I've never sewn a variation like Vogue 8296 above or Burda 8407 below. Both of these take the same tulip shape, add more design elements, and create a adaptation thereof.



These are the changes that stop style knowledge from becoming style ruts. I need to sew more of these adaptations and less of the same pattern - no matter how easy that is especially as I've read positive reviews of both patterns. What's with that. Is it the fear of something new? The bias seams? Fabric? Who knows. It's something to think about and get over.



Right now, I have five skirts in my closet just like views A and B of Butterick 4233. They're shown in the top row. I bought them in Portland for $4.99 each at a sale in the mall across from the hotel I was staying at while taking a workshop with Pati Palmer. They were an incredibly good buy. Even in the bargain section, I don't think I could buy the fabric for that little. The style suits me. I get a lot of compliments when I wear these skirts. I'm just a little bored of them after several years of wearing which is...



... probably why I've never sewn the pattern or Simplicity 2516 which is very similar. I could sew the other views. What an idea - LOL.

With Simplicity 2516, the proportions seem somewhat off. Compare the spacing of the layers of the black skirt in the Simplicity pattern with the spacing of the illustration of views A and B in the Butterick pattern. The gap is much less on the Butterick and appears more flattering. My RTW skirts have the smaller spacing.

Along with fabric and style, a garment's proportions are critical to how they look and - combined with our proportions - influence how they flatter us. I really enjoyed the information about proportion in the book Looking Good by Nancy Nix-Rice published by Palmer/Pletsch. I see there's a DVD now. Hmm...

Today I am - finally - getting the results of the blood work I had done for my allergies. It'll be interesting to see what has changed, what I'm actually allergic to, and what I have sensitivities to but could learn to work with. I imagine there are more changes coming my way. Apparently the results have been so long coming because of one test for blueberries that they weren't sure of. I hate blueberries so much that I often tell people I'm allergic to them and can barely put them in my mouth. I am quite happy to be officially allergic to blueberries.

After that, I'm hoping to work on saving the floral skirt. I bought another meter of the fabric. AND... the sun is shining. I may go for a walk around the block.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - medical tests that provide knowledge to help us live better, healthier

No comments:

Post a Comment