_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 6 June 2011

Mother Of The Grad Dress

It's been a good weekend, busy with events, friends, and visiting. I've gotten older, Kyle has graduated, and Howard and I have been married thirty years today. With everything going on, we haven't made any plans other than to go out for breakfast together this morning and for dinner later on this evening with the boys and my friend Barb who is up visiting and whose birthday it is tomorrow. In the fall, we're planning a trip.



The shoes were really comfortable, which is good since I stood on them for quite a few hours. Walking through Wal-Mart the other day, there was a display of nail polish and this lime shade seemed perfect to go with my dress. No pedicure. I painted it on myself and didn't do too bad although - with my limited eyesight - who knows. My friends and I were joking about how well we've aged - until we put our glasses on - and look in the 12x magnifier to see if we've over applied our make-up - suddenly, everything is different.



This picture doesn't do the necklace justice. It's far more sparkly and more amber in "real life". One of our local garden centers has a fabulous selection of jewelry. It's where I got the gaudy - either you like it or you don't - piece from a few weeks ago. This one is equally wonderful and went perfectly with my dress. I hadn't intended to buy new jewelry. Oh well, it attached itself and wouldn't let go. Jewelry may break my bank this year. The style I like is in style.



The Mother Of The Grad dress was perfect. It felt flirty and feminine on and I loved it. The neckline didn't gape and lay quite nicely. The waist skimmed and the skirt flowed. Next time, I might make the hem slightly shorter.



The back fits pretty good especially as that's where the most of my issues are. While the dress skimmed, the lining dipped in at the lower back. Possibly, I made the bodice slightly too long. I'm not worrying about it right now. It was good and enough.



Friday night was the cap and gown - pass the baton - ceremony. LOVE this I did it look. See the shirt? Would it be hard to tell that...



... this is my child - VBG. He loves purple and lime green and paisley. This was the best picture of the raw silk skirt and wrap t-shirt. We took most of the pictures that night in the back yard and it was too dark and the images didn't turn out. It's not a detail shot but you get the idea.



Kyle's date for grad was a grade younger and his English teacher's daughter. We only just met her that evening. She was very sweet, nice, friendly, and incredibly polite - a delight to have at our table. They both said that they had a great day together. The next day was the after grad party and - unfortunately - just for grads so she couldn't attend. They went white water rafting.



Here are the four of us. We missed having our daughter and son-in-law home. They couldn't make my older son's grad either. Calgary is so close and so far especially as my daughter is working full time and going to school numerous evenings a week plus Saturdays while working on her degree. We're planning to visit them toward the end of July. It was fun to be able to email pictures right away and share the experience.



And this is my boys being my boys. While they look so much alike, they have radically different personalities and yet many things in common. It's been interesting to watch their relationship change and develop over the last few years since my older son graduated. I imagine it'll have some new changes in the next year.

I've always hoped that my children would develop a strong sense of family and a closeness to and a respect for each other. I tell them that they will only have each other once we're gone and to remember how important that relationship is. We think our son-in-law is amazing and that certainly helps when building family. I've been praying for my daughter-in-laws since the boys were born. LOL - they need it. The poor girls will have to put up with me. Good thing I am determined to be a great mother-in-law.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a wonderful weekend, 30 years

12 comments:

  1. The dress is gorgeous!! I love the shoes and the necklace, but the lime green toes are perfect, especially since they coordinated with Kyle. I just love it!!! What a full week and so many congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's to great mother-in-laws. I have one. ;) She has always been supportive of me and our marriage. And since my Mom is now gone, she has been wonderful about doing her best to fill some of the empty spots. I love her dearly.

    Lois K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! And what a gorgeous dress. You look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! So many wonderful family things to celebrate this weekend.

    You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers to all of you! Your dress turned out beautifully and the necklace is perfect for it. So glad you could all (mostly) enjoy such a special day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dress is gorgeous and you and Kyle are well coordinated.

    What lovely weather for the weekend; grad and your anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look lovely. I especially like the green toes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a lovely dress and very cool shoes. Very nice looking family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look beautiful in the dress! It turned out really nice. And the lime green nail polish rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both outfits are amazing! I like the casualness and color of the skirt and tee outfit and the green lace dress is all you said it is! Congratulations on your son's graduation. Congratulations on 30 years of marriage and Happy Birthday once again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love both outfits. They fit you so well. The colours are just you.

    ReplyDelete