_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 27 June 2011

Sewng Eyes Sewing Tummy

There was wind and rain, thunder and lightening, and all sorts of "interesting" weather on the drive out to camp Friday. Oh well. Kyle and I had a good chat on the way and lunch together before I dropped him off. He was excited. I missed him right away although I did console myself with a stop at Crazy River Clothing in Salmon Arm, one of my favourite dress shops. The clothes have amazing details, gorgeous fabrics, and VERY high price tags.




One absolutely yummy top was made out of a wrinkled knit. It came in black or white. I have the exact same fabric in my stash in a dusty pink. After leaving, I wished that I'd tried the top on. I've thought about it so much that I've decided to make it part of my "birthday" celebration which has been put off for way too long already considering my birthday was at the beginning of the month.

The celebration will be two part. The first day, I'll go back to the store to try on all sorts of clothes that interest me and the second day, I'll sew my interpretation of either that top or another garment that catches my eye. If all goes well with my project for work, I may go this Thursday and then sew next week. That will give me time to plan and design in-between.




Saturday, I was having a conversation with my daughter and mentioned how frustrated I was by the length of time in which I've been saying the same thing - that my clothes don't seem to truly represent me. It's a topic that's been mentioned on the blog a few times. Right now, my jewelry is far more exciting than my clothing. She noted that the five tops I just made were rather boring. Yes. They are. And they were made to go with other, more colorful, skirts however... that said... I don't really have other, more colorful, skirts.




With the way my weight has fluctuated over the years, with being self employed from home for twenty years wearing jeans, with only returning to fashion sewing barely two years ago, it seems like I never get through sewing the basics and onto the unusual and more creative things. I imagine there's a bit of something subconscious holding me back as well, some thing that is a fear of some kind because all stumbling blocks can be traced back to fear and specifically to the fear of rejection.




I was thinking the other day about how my sewing eyes are bigger than my sewing tummy. I have ideas galore and yet too often I'm sitting on the couch reading a book instead of at the machine stitching. I need - want - to sew more and I need - want - to somehow alternate the basics with the creative and the ambitious. I certainly have enough patterns and fabrics and ideas.




Pyjama pants are not at all ambitious or creative and yet the rhythm of putting them together is immensely satisfying and provides plenty of time to think. These are one pair each for each of my sons. While making them, I thought a lot about sewing and my style and what's holding me back and the brevity of life and turning fifty next year and when will I actually get to it. In the end, I wrote someone whose sense of style I greatly admire and asked if she'd mentor me in some way. I'm not sure what that would look like but I think there's the potential for both of us to have fun while I find a way to transition... somehow... I hope... we'll see.

If I were to have a fashion mentor, one aspect that would be really important to me would be honest and kind critique. About the skirt that I showed on Friday, Alexandra wrote - It is a pretty skirt. Your other skirts are more flattering, IMHO. I thought that was an incredibly nice way of saying the skirt didn't look the greatest on me. The comment was MUCH appreciated although it's only fair to the skirt to mention that it was bought plus thirty pounds ago so the only thing holding it up is the elastic. Normally, I'm ruthless about getting rid of clothes that don't fit. That skirt and the four others like it have gone in and out of my recycling basket. First I say I'm not going to wear them and then I need something quick and easy and they come back out again. Now - with this feedback - I'll be moving them along permanently, which leaves me with even less to wear and more push to sew. LOL - I certainly have enough fabric and...

... even more now. After Crazy River Clothing, I also stopped at the Salmon Arm Fabricland to check out their bargain section and picked up a rayon/linen print and a rayon/wool plaid both in shades of grey. They're vastly different looks and don't go together. They were also vastly reduced in price and are now washed, dried, and in stash while I think about what they might become. My stash is ready for a ruthless purge - for a very specific reason. I'll tell you more about that tomorrow. I'm working today, hopefully sewing tonight.

The top in these photos is the speckled t-shirt from the five I just sewed worn with Vogue 7937 sewn from a heavier knit. This skirt style is one of my favourites. It feels fun and flirty. I was being brave and trying something different with the belt. What do you think?

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - the ability to ask even when the answer might be no. It might also be yes. If you ask and the answer is yes, you are where you want to be. If you ask and the answer is no, you are where you started and can plan a new path. Nothing is lost.

10 comments:

  1. Myrna, I have been ejoying your blog for a while now... thank you for sharing so much of yourself and your life and your talents. This particular outfit is really lovely and flattering on you... I do have a question, however. I've noticed that you typically wear very dark hose and wonder if perhaps it's the way they photograph (as pretty much opaque) or if there is a specific reason you wear such a dark color even with your warm-season clothing.

    Kathie in Upstate NY

    ReplyDelete
  2. My eyes are bigger, too. So, to enable me to spend more time on the creative/unique projects, I've basically stopped sewing basics and started taking any RTW alterations to a seamstress rather than doing any hemming, etc myself.

    I agree with you on comments and critiques. I generally will not comment rather than say something critiquing another sewist, unless they make it very clear that they are unhappy with a garment and trying to find a way to fix it. I wouldn't want to insult someone. But on the flip side, honest advice is always appreciated when it comes to my own sewing. Maybe having a mentor would help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the belt - it defines your waist and gives greater visual impact to the neatness of it.
    You are SO lucky to have such a wealth of fabric stores. here in the Uk we don't.
    Don't worry about turning 50 - I turned 60 last year and am thrilled I can get concessionary rates on things - the trouble is I have to prove it as I look younger . BG
    Brenda in the Boro UK

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, let me say that I love your blog. It's the first thing I read every morning.

    Funny about the skirt comment....I was just idly thinking that while the Friday skirt was cute and I liked it, I ADORE this purple one on you.

    I wonder three things: if it isn't a matter of scale, coloring, style/texture conflict.

    Somehow the scale is wrong between the blue top and the floaty skirt, IMHO. The skirt is too long for the top. The scale of the top demands something more tailored on the bottom (which is why the purple skirt works).

    Perhaps different shoes? The current shoes look clunky with the floaty skirt - maybe light weight sandals of some sort? Definitely needs shoes that have a lighter look. Right now my eye goes down your body and lands with a thud on the shoes, and doesn't come back up. Oh oh!

    I also think that the scale and style is wrong between the black belt and the skirt. Maybe a narrower black belt? Or a long black scarf rolled up very narrow? I love the white belt on the purple outfit, the scale is just right.

    In the photos the coloring doesn't work between the floaty skirt and the blue top. The top is bright and cheerful and demands something that shows it off, versus it being worn to "go with the skirt".

    I think that the floaty skirt and the blue top/black belt send me completely different vibes; whereas the purple top and skirt/white belt send me the same message.

    Now that I think about it, I guess it's that the skirt and top/belt are both demanding top billing. No pun intended. :)

    Actually the skirt and the top are two different styles, IMHO. One's more fitted (I love the fitted look on you), heavier texture, somewhat feminine, but not terribly so; the other is floaty, light, quite feminine, dainty even.

    I think that's where the problem is. The style of the top and the skirt are competing instead of enhancing.

    I also think that the textures don't work between the two pieces. The top's texture is too heavy for the light chiffony skirt.

    I actually like that floaty skirt on you...different shoes and a completely different top could totally bring it alive.

    The blue top is nice on you...a good color for your skin and hair. The fit is great for you. The color/fit make you look youthful and fresh. And it looks nice with the belt. Just needs a different type of bottom to accommodate it's texture.

    It will be interesting to see what you come up with to go with the blue top....

    I know what you mean about keeping clothes that don't fit or aren't exactly right for us....why do we do that????

    You'd be bored if you only wore outfits that look like the purple one, even if that is your very best look. So....some variety in the styling is good....we just have to think about how to make that floaty skirt look fabulous on you.

    The purple outfit has pizzaz, the floaty skirt/blue top don't have that yet, but they will!

    Sorry to be so long...I'm just so fascinated right now with how can I make my outfits look nicer.

    Good luck sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love today's outfit! That flippy skirt is wonderful for you and looks great with that top. the belt is a nice waist accenter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This whole outfit is fantastic! Fits well, is elegant but is also unexpected. A little bit edgy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Myrna, been popping in and reading your blog when time permits. Always enjoy your insights and sharing. That said, the first thought tonight was wow, Myrna looks really good wearing a belt! She still has a waist! Mine is slowly going away.

    Like most of us in middle age, I found myself at a cross-roads as well. Transition times leave us with many more questions than answers. I always felt that by the time I reached this age I would have most things figured out. I would be able to define things as black and white. Guess what? Everything is gray. Really.

    Societal and cultural influences keep changing. I'm getting tired, so I just try to be in the middle. Returning to the public work force can be quite a challenge but you seem to be adapting very well.

    IMO basic clothing is wonderful, your collection of new T's will serve you very well, every day. I think they are great. Well fitting, flattering and versatile. Not every outfit needs to be a wow, stunner, super glam get up. After you rebuild a wardrobe of basics you will have the time and inspiration built up to do the artsy stuff. Don't rush it, take some time. Planning is the most fun and exercises those creative muscles. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Myrna,
    I think some of your struggles are as you've stated: trying to define your style as you age and enter the workforce (while wanting to add some fun flirtiness) and needing some good basics while your weight fluctuates. Anyone would be struggling with that!

    My favorite skirts on you are your knee length ones. I heard fashion king, Tim Gunn state on The Biggest Loser a few seasons ago to a 50 year old contestant something like: Long skirts are matronly & age you. Shorter knee length ones are more youthful & slimming. Wow, that comment has stuck with me and has stopped me up short when I consider wearing a long skirt.


    As a 51 year old, I agree that this transition in life is challenging. But you can do it. Have fun figuring out what looks good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the compliment. It's good to hear that I got my point across without offending you.

    Transitions aren't easy but they are rewarding in the end. Reading your blog helps me go through my own transition.

    I love the skirt in this post - from the front view, it looks like a regular pencil skirt. Then you turn around and wow! the movement and shape - cool surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. here is an honest and kind opinion. this outfit today is wow ! very flattering. good luck with your style adventure .

    ReplyDelete