_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 8 June 2011

The Progression Of Seams

We had rain, thunder, and lightening yesterday. So much that I turned the computers off before I went to work and left my e-book unplugged just in case. Even with the correct power bars, I think it's wise to take precautions mainly so I don't have to go through the frustration of setting everything up again. I'm so not good at that - the frustration that is. Howard does the setting up.

We had a leisurely breakfast and then Barb left about eleven. With my permission, she'd brought her dog who is old, lame, blind, deaf, and has diabetes. He requires tremendous care and she couldn't come if he couldn't. We didn't mind - however and unfortunately - my dog allergies seem to be far more sensitive then they used to be. After she left, I spent an hour vacuuming and dusting the house particularly downstairs where he had stayed. It wasn't enough. I'm still finding and reacting to dog hairs. I'll need to do it again today. Oh well. It was worth having her here.

That didn't leave much time and did make me realize how short the morning is before heading to work - which I'm doing again today - which means that the earliest day I'll be able to take the skirt pictures is Thursday. Even then, I'll only have pictures of the skirts that work on me because I don't keep the ones that don't. Maybe I'll be able to sneak a few change room pictures in by doing some snoop shopping.




This is the same skirt style as the denim one worn with a white t-shirt that I sewed on the weekend. It's an abnormality. The t-shirt that is. I haven't worn a white t-shirt - haven't owned one - in well over ten years, maybe even fifteen. I absolutely LOVED the necklace and it's going back. By the end of my four hour shift, it had pilled the whole front of the t-shirt. I wouldn't be comfortable wearing it with anything else for fear it'd ruin the fabric. Hopefully, I can depill the t-shirt or that was a one time wear garment. I'd meant it for more.



The skirt appears to be a short pencil skirt like McCalls 3830 above. The floral pattern is hiding the interior seams. This is the same pattern as the denim one from yesterday and has six seams. The following patterns show a progression of seams, each offering more fitting opportunities for those of us who need to embrace multiple seams.




The illustration on Simplicity 9825 above is somewhat deceptive. Along with the yoke, there are side seams and a center back and a center front seam. The other lines depict drape. For my figure, the center front seam is unnecessary as I'm quite flat there and the center back seam is typically straight, offers no fitting opportunities, and is not enough. I need far more shaping.




Simplicity 2654 takes the same concept and adds the princess seam lines. The center front seam is eliminated while the center back seam remains. Again, it's a flat seam with no shaping incorporated so the shaping lines are the princess seams and the side seams.




Simplicity 5914 is the same skirt with flared hemlines. It's interesting to me that short with no interior seam lines and I look like a ball. Add seam lines and I have shape. Add a flare and it's flirty and feminine.




McCall's 5523 eliminates the center back seam by moving the zipper to the side. When I've sewn this pattern, I've redrafted to include a center back seam because it's easier than putting the zipper along the substantial curve of my hip plus I usually need to adjust that seam. As the new center back seam is a straight seam, it's sole purpose - to me - is for zipper placement. This pattern is nearly identical to the one I'm wearing in the photo with the addition of back details. It shows how a T & T pattern can develop when you play with it. Purchasing another pattern isn't always necessary.




The focus of Vogue 7937 is the back. In the front, it has the same princess seams as the previous patterns. The backs of views A and B add vents. The backs of views C and D add multiple seams with additional flare. I've sewn view D three times so far and it's easy to fit on my figure, feels fabulous on, and gets all kinds of compliments as does the McCall's 5523 pattern above.

Tomorrow, I'll show you another series of patterns that builds from a simple concept to adding more design lines. It's been eye opening to look at these. Many times I bought the pattern for fun however, this closer look has shown me that my style lines are not static - there can be many interpretations within the same outer shape - and lots of room for fun.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a hobby that continues to stretch my imagination and my skill levels with plenty more room for growth

3 comments:

  1. Love the outfit! What a shame about the necklace since it's so perfect for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You say "the CB seam is straight" as if it were set in stone. But why couldn't you just change it? You know, take out a wedge say 1/2" or 3/4" at the waist, tapering to nothing at the hip level - that essentially creates an extra dart/fitting opportunity. And if the interfacing for the zipper area is cut on the straight grain, it will take out any stretchiness from the slight bias so you zipper will go in as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the outfit and you should wear more white. It looks really good on you. The necklace was perfect. Hopefully you can find a similar one that is smooth.
    Belated Happy birthday to a fellow Gemini. Those twins do cause us trouble sometimes.
    Congrats to you and your son on his graduation. I never got the chance to experience that because I did not have my own children but I did enjoy seeing my students achieve success.

    ReplyDelete