_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 7 June 2011

Twenty-Seven Skirts



THANKS for all the compliments on the dress. I'm debating sewing the pattern again in a knit. It won't even need a zipper. I thought that I'd hung it up with the zipper open except that when I put the dress on, it seemed a tighter squiggle than before. The zipper was closed. This means I can get it over my head and a knit is possible.

Yesterday, I did some work on saving the floral skirt. Of the twenty-seven skirt patterns in my stash, only four are completely inappropriate to my figure type including Simplicity 2451 which, naturally, would be the one that I sewed. Of course, I'm viewing these from the "after" perspective of knowledge gained. Perhaps if I'd sewed view A or B with their flared hems, I'd have had better luck. Instead, I sewed View C with its beach ball (on me) shape. This led to the ongoing skirt research.

It intrigues me that I am doing skirt research at all because after all, I have figured out what works for me. I simply chose to deviate from it occasionally in order to sew a wadder which will in turn reinforce prior learning. It's a delusional and circular path that I'm sure many of you have also explored.

Later on - hopefully tomorrow but no promises - I will relearn how to use the timer on my camera and will take pictures of myself in the different skirt styles that I currently own - the ones that I think look good on me - so that you can - hopefully - see what I see. The feedback will be interesting. Here's a starter.




Yesterday, I wore a short, knee length skirt made from stretch denim. Everyone within polling distance thought it looked good which leads to the question of why did Simplicity 2451 with many similar characteristics not look good? The easy answer would be that I'm too damn picky. A better answer is that the difference in results is due to the multiple seams. Yesterday's skirt had six seams - two side and four interior - while the Simplicity has two. Multiple seams equals multiple fitting opportunities. Perhaps I should type that in large bold print, cut it out, and post it somewhere VERY visible.




With this back view, you can clearly see how quickly and substantially my hips flare. I like my shape, it just makes fitting a more difficult journey than lack of shape. In that case, I'd need to be a magician of a different sort.




Post skirt research, flipping through the June/July issue of Vogue Patterns magazine, the detail image of Vogue 8697 caught my eye. With multiple seams through the waistband, down the front, and even over the hips, there are excellent fitting opportunities in this skirt making it entirely suitable to my figure type although it claims - with the Vogue icons - to be entirely suitable to every figure type. Naturally, I do not already own this perfect pattern and will need to order it - LOL. Naturally. I only have twenty-seven others.

This morning, I'm taking Barb out for breakfast to celebrate her birthday before she leaves for home. After that, I'll have a couple hours to myself and then work this afternoon 1:30 - closing. Hopefully it's busy not boring. We popped in on Sunday to show Barb around and it was slow however, it was also one of the first gorgeous weekends so far with sun all day long, not too hot, not too cold, no wind, perfect. This morning, it's looking cold and windy. This could work.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - friends

3 comments:

  1. I have similar hip-related fitting issues. So, my mantra is "Seams are my friends".

    I can't wait to see your skirt analysis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I simply chose to deviate from it occasionally in order to sew a wadder which will in turn reinforce prior learning"
    LOL, must remember this when I too sew up what I know won't work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, that drive to sew the things we know won't work. The blue skirt looks good, you look sassy. We all need to keep learning, and relearning, but if we didn't we would never be surprised by something new.

    ReplyDelete