_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 16 June 2011

Most Sewn Most Worn

Friday, when I cut out the five t-shirts, I somewhat arrogantly thought that I might get them done over the weekend only that was before I got side tracked by the allergy results. Even so, I thought I'd sew one a day this week. Yes... well... I didn't sew Monday or Tuesday, or write, or do anything but sit like a lump in my curl up chair self medicating with romances. VBG - I'd have preferred chocolate or chips but those are a no-no now. Yesterday, my friend Sharon came over to sew. With her here, I thought I'd get at least two t-shirts finished. Just one... and a bit.




This pink fabric is a rayon Lycra plus who knows what blend. It's soft with tremendous drape which means that it hugs every lump and bump on my body. To wear it, I'll need a new t-shirt bra and a smooth, non waist defining garment - not jeans. I love the color. I'm not sure otherwise.




The neckline was stitched with a twin needle placing the left needle in the ditch and the right needle on the neck binding. On the back, the excess fabric is trimmed up to the line of stitching. It makes for a nice finish if you don't have a coverstitch machine... like me... who is not sure she even wants one. I used a twin needle for the hems as well. They look good.




Originally, I'd planned to sew the t-shirts in tandem and finish up at roughly the same time however, as I thought through the best time to change thread colors, it seemed much easier to just sew them one at a time. All have colored thread for the seams and top stitching and grey thread for any serging such as to neaten the fused hems. The hemline of the pink t-shirt pulled in and I had to let the side seams out slightly. I'm not sure if it was the fabric or the fusi-knit although I've used the interfacing so often without that problem that it was most likely the fabric. The teal fabric appears more stable. Hopefully, it will skim not cling.

In her post Tuesday, Kristin asked what homemade items do you wear most and why? I sew a lot of different kinds of garments but my t-shirts get the most wear. I know they're easy enough (for most people) to buy inexpensively. My sewn ones fit better and can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. My only "complaint" is finding the quality of fabric that's going to last. It's a gamble just as it is with purchased t-shirts only there's more time and energy involved in sewing your own. Even so, t-shirts are my most sewn/most worn garment.




I'm working on such practical projects right now. It's rather boring especially as up next are some flannel pyjama pants for my son. Sigh. Meanwhile, tickling in the back of my brain is my dress for next year when my friend Caroline and I are planning to go to San Francisco to celebrate our 50th birthdays. It's a long way off but okay to start dreaming. We're basing our ideas on Mary Adams' The Party Dress Book. These two images are my favourite. The top one is bias strips sewn to an underskirt and the bottom one is silk scraps layered and stitched. Both are textured and scrumptious. While t-shirts may be my most worn handmade garment, things like these skirts are the most fun to sew.




This morning I'm off. This afternoon, I work from one to closing tonight. That gives me the morning to putter and perhaps finish the teal t-shirt. We'll see.

A final note on food before I drop that topic - although anothers situation could perhaps be deemed more difficult, this is my situation and it has shifted and whenever someones situation shifts that shift brings with it loss and change which always means cycling through the grieving process. Each person's experience of that process will differ.

For me, the most difficult part is not the food - even though that is very difficult - it's the loss of control, personal freedom, and choice. Activities that I really enjoy like travelling and trying new foods and restaurants, staying in bed & breakfasts, and meeting new people (like other bloggers) over coffee or a meal have become extremely difficult, virtually impossible. I particularly love to meet at bakeries for bitter coffee with gooey chocolate cake. Not anymore. For me, that's a huge personal loss.

Simply travelling has become difficult. Where and what will I eat along the way are questions that begin to take up way too much time and energy. Yes, I can pack my own food but that's not what I want to do, that's what I'm forced to do and sometimes, it's not even what I can do. Think about an international flight. Airlines (and borders) do not allow you to bring along your own meat, fruit, and liquids. I have no idea how I will eat in San Francisco. I just want to go enough to attempt to make it work. Allergies create very real limitations and risks that must constantly be considered.

My personal preference is to approach life from the positive and yet, when I pick up a food item, my focus is on what I can not eat in the list of food ingredients. That's negative. Unless you are eating a one ingredient food - say blueberries - you have to read every label. I'm not fond of fruit in general but I really hate blueberries. With allergies you're "not allowed" to have foods that you dislike, only ones that you're not allergic to. How difficult this is to deal with and how it feels is hard to describe unless you've experienced it and even then the experience would be different for each person. AND...

... that's enough of that subject. It's not my favourite - LOL.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - one t-shirt finished four to go

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the neat tip using the twin needle on the neck edge. This is yet another reason why I enjoy reading the sewing blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Myrna:
    I can't imagine the food challenges and I like to cook. I will say that it is possible to take food on airplanes. My husband is a diabetic and we have travelled internationally with food successfully. It just requires pre-planning. Of course, that may not help you when you land in a new place that you are unfamiliar with. You are entitled to be stressed and upset. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandson has Eosinophilic Esophagitis and cannot eat beef, chicken, eggs, or any dairy products. He was diagnosed at 18 months. Now at 10 he asks what are the ingredients in anything that I bring over to their house.

    A phone call before even going into the restaurant is always wise. It will at least let you know that the restaurant will help with your needs. Yes it is an extra effort but it pays off.

    My daughter asks to speak to the chef in the restaurant before they order. If the answers are not what she has to hear they do not return the restaurant. When we visited Disney World every chef in every restaurant we visited came out to the table and discussed how Jeremy's food would be prepared. We never had a problem.

    Have fun dealing with the new list of foods that you can have.

    Love ya, Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  4. In March I was travelling in San Fran, LA and LV with strict diet orders and there were times in resturants that I had to get food remade to my order. I did this in consultation with the wait staff and sometimes I had to get food remade. That's just how requests get lost in translation, but I kept patient because a 'girl's got to eat'. At Disney, there were some good food options too. Enjoy yourself and be positive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that tip about the twin needle. I'm having trouble finding twin needles though, my Fabricland had only universal ones that were close together and that day, I was searching for a wider one for stretch fabric.
    I had that Party Dress book out from the library and drooled over some pictures. I'm not a fan of all that colour at once, but there were some lovely designs!

    ReplyDelete