_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 17 June 2011

Same Shoes Same Shirt

Two down, three to go. I finished the teal t-shirt before work yesterday. I made a change to the sleeve cap before cutting these out and it's not working as wonderfully as I'd like. The front is better with less ease only the back now has too much. That would be one of the reasons I don't - normally - cut out more than one garment at a time. Oh well. At least it's behind me.




This fabric is more stable than the pink and that's the only thing I know about the fibre mix except that this one shows wrinkles quite a bit. Strange on a knit.




This is a really close-up photo of the twin needle hem that shows the not visible in real life roll between the two lines of stitching. The hem is reinforced with fusi-knit. I cut 1 and 1/8" strips with the stretch going around the body, fuse them to the hem, serge the edge, press up the hem, take down the hem, pin and sew the side seams, and then stitch the hems in place. This allows me to do most of the work while the garment is flat which is way easier.

I haven't managed to do a picture taking session of the skirts yet but in dibs and drabs I'm getting them all. These are the long straight skirts that I referred to the other day. This first one in particular...




... gets a lot of looks. It was made as part of a outfit I entered in a wearable art show. The skirt is two layers stitched together with orange thread in a swirling pattern. The bottom layer forms the lining. It's hot pink with white polka dots and is just visible through the back slit. The skirt was drafted with Pattern Master Boutique software. It has no front darts, two back darts, and side seams which would normally not suit my figure. What makes it flattering on me is the length and the tapered hem. In comparison...





... this skirt is slightly shorter with a slightly wider hem. It's Simplicity 9825 with a front yoke, two back darts, and the side seams. In a darker color, it should be more slimming and yet it's not. The fabric is cotton about the weight of light-weight twill. LOL - both would look better with heels only I was getting dressed for work and heels are not an option with all the walking we do and the cement floors. With the same shoes, same shirt, it's an interesting comparison.




The weather here has been the weirdest. The heater has actually been cutting in the last few days. It's that cold. Normally, in June, we'd be turning on the air conditioning and complaining about the heat. There was enough sunshine for this brave first flower to make an appearance. It's in the section of the back garden where I split and moved plants to. They're still in settling in.

It's grey and raining out and not the best day for a drive however... I'm going just over an hour to a bakery in Vernon that specializes in allergy free foods. When I was first diagnosed years ago, and had only two allergies, I had a turkey cranberry sandwich made with no gluten and no dairy and it was fabulous. It was also the last sandwich I've had so I'm looking forward to another.

The bakery has since moved into the owner's home. She will have two loaves of buckwheat bread made without gluten, dairy, or eggs warm and ready for me at 10:30 when I arrive. How fun. I'm also buying a copy of her cookbook for the foods sold in the restaurant and am quite hopeful of getting some good recipes. It'll be worth the drive plus I then can visit with my friend Lorraine. We're having fresh bread for lunch.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - that other people are willing to do the research and share their findings.

6 comments:

  1. I think this idea of comparing all the skirts in your wardrobe is wonderful! I often find myself wondering why one thing seems to flatter, while another, similar item doesn't. Once all of my clothes gets here from Texas (if that ever happens!!) I think I'll try this myself. have fun in Vernon! That sounds like a great resource.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the fusi-knit application for t-shirts.

    Enjoy the bread. And the drive, and visit with your friend.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you have fun plans for the day, and will get some food that works for you. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your drive and time with your girlfriend plus yummy good-you-food was all you'd hoped!

    I thought of you yesterday when I started making a skirt. It's a wardrobe pattern that I bought because I liked its flared skirt - you might like it too! Check out Simplicity 2520.

    It's super easy, 6 pieces, and unlined (but I'm lining it). I'm making it in a linen floral (Fabric from Joann's: navy blue background with large white flowers.) I'm considering making it again in a thick knit without a zipper or lining. Anyway, it all makes me think of you and your own skirt research.

    Happy Father's Day to Howard! ;-)
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Myrna

    Thank you for taking the time to write such a long and helpful comment. My son is on the bio-medical diet with supplements which include a pro-biotic (dairy free) so I relate to all that you wrote.

    He is doing so well with it! He definitely has a number of gut problems which are getting a lot better.

    The funny thing is, since we decided we would all do the same diet together - we would not ask our son to eat anythign we wouldn't, or conversely, eat anything in front of him that he couldn't - I have developed gut problems! I am off to see the doctor tomorrow, but it seems that by excluding sugar from my own diet I now have a massive bacteria die off in my stomach! I was very sugar addicted before - now I can go to a cafe and I am not even tempted by the cake. It's amazing how quickly your tastebuds can change when they have to.

    I don't miss anything about the old way of eating, although it is convenient to be able to eat gluten and dairy if I need to. Not having the option makes going out very challenging indeed...

    ReplyDelete
  6. "That would be one of the reasons I don't - normally - cut out more than one garment at a time" I find myself trapped in this conumdrum as well. I'm retired and can sew every day. But I don't like to work on the next project until I'm sure how this one has worked. I don't know that until I've worn it all day. So like you, I really don't like to cut 2 garments at the same time.

    ReplyDelete