_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 10 June 2011

Long & Slimming

No pictures - of me in skirts at least. By the time I got home from my allergy appointment, I wasn't in the mood to dress up and take photos. The news could have been worse I'm sure although it was bad enough already. The results showed that I've kept all of the same common allergies - gluten, dairy, corn, soy, and shellfish - with the addition of eggs. None. No eggs at all. They can't even be rotated. As well, I'm sensitive (meaning rotate these) to all meats except chicken and turkey, all fish except tuna, and all nuts and may not even be able to rotate them as I react significantly. AND... there's a list of nineteen fruits and vegetables that must be either avoided or rotated as well as chocolate, cane sugar, and yeast. Oh joy! I'm a little numb.

My friend Sharon suggested holding back on the sewing as I may lose weight if things go as they did the last time I made significant changes after all, if I can't eat, I should at least be slim - one would hope. However, since naked isn't an option and sewing is therapy, I'll carry on and we'll see what happens. SO...




... speaking of sewing... one style that I know for a fact looks fabulous on me is a long, slim, fitted skirt much like the one top left of McCall's 3830. Whenever I wear this style, I get a lot of attention - so much so that I know I'm not wrong. It looks real good on me. When Barb was here over the weekend, we discussed why and the conclusion was the long slimming lines combined with the shapely curve of my hips. I have hips - LOL.




Burda 7349 is the skirt I sewed for my first project at work. It's the same style with more interior details. You'd think it would give me that beach ball look with so much attention at the hips and yet it doesn't because the eye is drawn down and in. Once it comes down from display, I'll be able to show you what I mean. Short this skirt wouldn't work. The long length again has a positive influence which makes me wonder if...




... the short version of Vogue 8711 would be negative while the long version would be slimming. Something to try.




Vogue 8603 above and Vogue 8672 below have similar style lines. Both are basic princess seamed skirts with added details. What's interesting is that two of these three patterns (including Vogue 8711) are not rated for my figure type and one is and yet they're incredibly similar. Not sure how these things are calculated but again, these are styles worth trying especially with the fitting opportunities of the princess seams... and the fact that I own every single pattern I've shown this week.




Alexandra wrote - You say "the CB seam is straight" as if it were set in stone. But why couldn't you change it?

One of the pattern drafting books I have says that center back should always be a straight. I'm not sure where they got that "rule" from as I've seen plenty of patterns where shaping has been moved toward center by taking in the skirt like a dart or by adding more room through the shoulder blades. That said, I always end up straightening those seams out on my figure. I'm quite flat across the center back and any shaping through the bodice puffs out and any shaping through the high hip pulls up. For skirts especially, it's been far more successful for me to shape through smaller multiple darts or with seams.

Last night, I checked the label on the potato chips I (used to) eat a lot of and was rejoicing that they were made with vegetable oil not sunflower oil. Then I started to wonder what's in vegetable oil so I Googled it and common ingredients are corn, soy, sesame, and sunflower, all of which are not allowed. Guess I won't be eating those chips anymore. I wonder why I didn't clue into that sooner - probably because I thought it was going to be the potatoes not the oil. ANYWAY... when I told Kyle, he asked what was going to happen to me when there was nothing left to eat to which I replied I'd die skinny. He then asked if he could have my pancreas which had us laughing. Too funny.

I'm off to figure out what to eat for breakfast. I haven't a clue. I have a lunch date today and a breakfast date tomorrow and after that it'll be coffee dates instead of meals. Coffee did show up on the tests at an incredibly low level and considering the amount I drink, I'm just ignoring that. That's like giving up fabric. I don't think so - VBG.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - that I live in an area where there is plentiful and varied foods available. Even with such extensive allergies, I still have options. PLUS - my grocery store is currently being renovated to include more healthy living options, which is a trend that will support my issue. YES YES!

8 comments:

  1. Your food list reminds me of when I was tested for plant allergies- the physician took one look at the results and asked "What plants do they have on Your planet?" Seriously though, knowledge is power. Now that you know what to avoid, you can take pleasure in creating recipes that use what you Can eat, and take control by replacing pre-prepared foods (which can contain all sorts of surprises) with things you've prepared from scratch. You can make patterns fit, and you can make recipes work for you as well. Then you can start hosting those meals with friends so you can still "break bread" (or in your case, take a break from it) with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What bothers me most is that you are not an anomaly. There are many many people experiencing food allergies. Is this new? It certainly seems so. I can't remember as many people having as many and as extensive allergies as there are today. It used to be just peanuts or shell fish. I personally can't eat at some restaurants. Withing 15 minutes I'm writhing with abdomal pain and experience explosive dia... well never mind. I meant to make the point that I think it may not be the foods so much as how the foods are being prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to thank you for this little series you are doing on skirts for a "hippy-er" kind of gal. My BFF once told me that if it wasn't for my but and hips, I'd would be considered skinny. Anyway, I've been struggling with what kind/style of skirts would look best on my figure. I've gleaned many ideas from your posts. Thanks again.

    P.S. Any chance you can think of a dress for a hippy figure made with a border print fabric? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I'm stunned by that list of allergies. It's mind-boggling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Myrna. Your situation is much like mine--I have so many food allergies I can't even rotate. I just avoid the worst ones and minimize the others. That's the best I can do.

    I have found that I have an overgrowth of yeast, so I'm looking around on the Inet for a diet to cure it. THAT will not be fun! Wish me luck!

    Gail D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is wonderful that you are being positive about these allergies. I have a dear friend who has a severely limited range of foods available to her, including the coffee you are holding on to, and all teas. One day I took around some pears for us to share, since I knew they were on her list of OKs. It turned out she was only allowed Bartlett pears, all others were a no-go! I was pretty embarrassed, but she was exceedingly gracious about the whole thing! She is one of the most positive and vibrant friends i have, and inspires me whenever we get together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry, Myrna, that so many basic foods are "off limits" for you. I don't know how I'd survive. I too wonder why all these food allergies seem to be on the increase - what are we as a society doing that is causing our bodies to react so badly to foods that are good for us? I can understand a bad reaction to man-made prepared foods - but why the basic God-given foods that are in their original states?! I'll pray that you can find some answers. If anyone can, you can with your can-do attitude.
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Myrna. I've been dealing with illness food issues for the last few months and I was stunned out of sewing. What brought me back was the fact that sewing clothes that fit is my therapy. I love the styles you've chosen and with your fitting skills, each piece will fit you and noone will realise that you're actually dealing with keeping yourself pain free.

    ReplyDelete