_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 23 June 2011

Results Will Vary

Yesterday must have been summer - LOL - as it's raining this morning. Oh the weird weather we're having. I won't complain. It could be worse and... my iris are out. The first couple years they were in this spot beside the porch, they didn't bloom well. It's more sheltered than I anticipated. This year, there are lots of tall stems and bright blooms. It's quite lovely.




Why, when the room was flooded with sunlight, are these pictures dark? Why, when I used a tripod, are some of them blurry? All so very strange but - hopefully - somewhat of an example of how the fabric factor affects end results.




All five t-shirts were cut from the exact same pattern and sewn using the exact same order and methods. All I know about the fabrics is that they are all a rayon blend. As you can see, results vary.




Print fabrics are more forgiving of the lumps and bumps - more camouflaging. The favourite t-shirt whose fabric I'm attempting to duplicate is a paisley print. I opted for (mostly) solid fabrics so I could sew brighter print skirts.




This dark green is my favourite in terms of feel and fit. It's a slightly thicker fabric and seems to skim rather than cling. I think it has a percentage of cotton.




The pink is my favourite in terms of color. You saw it the other day with the plaid skirt. I have a picture of the teal one with another skirt style to show you tomorrow.




The pink and the teal t-shirts are the same fabric. This blue one is different and the results are less clingy. It's a gorgeous color as well. I wish I had purchased a purple only there wasn't one at the time. I'd like it to go with a floral print in stash. There may be one now. I'll look - if I have time. We're having a huge, one day only, birthday bash sale at work today to celebrate Canada Day... quite early... it's on July 1st. The actual day is a Friday. I think the reasoning is that people will leave on their holiday the night before so this is the last Thursday that works to hold the sale. That's just my guess.

ANYWAY... what I was hoping to illustrate with these (not so fabulous) images was how the same pattern looks in different fabrics, even fabrics that are all a rayon blend. The results show why when you are working out a particular fitting problem, you need to use the same fabric over and over and why when you test with muslin and then sew the final garment with "real" fabric, results vary. Each garment needs its own fine tuning.

I'm working eight hours today and then running around after work to help Kyle pick up whatever is on his list after he packs. Hopefully he has a list when I get home and we get it done because we're leaving in the morning and I have a feeling I'll be tired tonight. Oh well - life's like that. Saturday, I intend to sleep in and move slow.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - contrast that cause appreciation

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for showing all of the shirts. I keep thinking that a TNT pattern will solve all my problems, but I keep forgetting that every fabric will respond differently. I need to remind myself that having to do a few tweaks each time I use a new fabric does not mean that the pattern isn't good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really a great example of what happens to all of us. It's so puzzling and yet so true. The same pattern can produce varying fit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I discovered the same thing last week when the same pattern yielded a yummily soft rayon knit that I LOVE -- but it reveals every bump and then a beautiful purple ribbed mystery knit that hung and flopped so badly - especially at the neckline that it was unsalvageable. Aargh. And sigh. Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so true! ANd it's one of the reasons why I sew my knits with a sewing machine, try them on for fit and then decide if I want to serge the seams. Each knit has different cling and stretch factors, just as you illustrated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've made some beautiful Tshirts, and goodness, those irises! Just stunning...
    Your comment made me laugh... so true!

    ReplyDelete