_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 28 June 2011

The Pending Potential Of My Stash

Have you ever had a favorite outfit that you've worn over and over and then put it on one morning only to look in the mirror and ask yourself what was I thinking? I can remember numerous experiences like that over the years. I'm intrigued by how as we evolve some things change and some things remain the same. No matter what I am somewhat vain, my hair is important, I love panty hose, and would opt to wear high heels if possible. Throw in some big, multi pieced, piece of jewelry and I'm really happy.

Kathie wrote - I do have a question, however. I've noticed that you typically wear very dark hose and wonder if perhaps it's the way they photograph (as pretty much opaque) or if there is a specific reason you wear such a dark color even with your warm season clothing.

That's certainly a frustrating element of the Internet - that what I see and what you see and what is truly reality differs monitor to monitor. Most likely, they are photographing darker although I tend to wear light tights in winter which would be opaque but not thick and lighter pantyhose in summer. I wore that outfit Sunday and the temperature was winter-ish which meant these were the only appropriate pantyhose in my drawer. I need to re-stock and particularly in skin tone. The only "nude" color I had looked like a really bad, sprayed on tan. NOT.

Pantyhose are an interesting discussion. Some women would never wear them and some - like myself - would always wear them. If I'm wearing a longer skirt, I will go with bare legs however, if I'm wearing a shorter skirt, I prefer to wear panty hose because of varicose veins. I also like the suck me in and smooth me out aspect of control tops and especially love the new high waisted pantyhose that come right to your bra band. They smooth everything out only they're not at all practical in hot summer weather which is why I tend to wear longer skirts in summer and shorter ones in winter.

Clio wrote - My eyes are bigger, too. So, to enable me to spend more time on the creative/unique projects, I've basically stopped sewing basics and started taking any RTW alterations to a seamstress rather than doing any hemming, etc myself.

I have such trouble finding RTW that works for me that I'm not sure how doable this suggestion is HOWEVER - I'm giving it a LOT of thought. I don't particularly like shopping but this sounds like a plan that could work even for the short term to get me over the hurdle until the point where I'm better balanced in terms of sewing wants and sewing needs. Thanks.

Mel wrote - ... Funny about the skirt comment... I was just idly thinking that while the Friday skirt was cute and I liked it, I ADORE this purple one on you. Somehow the scale is wrong between the top and the floaty skirt... I also think the scale is wrong between the black belt and the skirt.... Perhaps different shoes... The top is bright and cheerful and demands something that shows it off versus being worn to "go with the skirt".

There was a LOT more to Mel's comment so please go back and read the whole thing to know what all she said and what I'm responding too.

Yesterday's outfit gives me more shape than Friday's. You're right that different shoes would have been a better choice. Unfortunately, I was on the way to work and those cement floors and eight hour shifts don't let me wear the heels I love. I've spent the last six months since starting work attempting to find comfortable and fashionable shoes. It's a journey.

The feedback on the proportions and the style/color was very interesting. I appreciated it. In real life, you may have had a different impression as the color of the t-shirt and the color in the skirt match perfectly and the t-shirt is a light-weight rayon blend. It must look heavier in the photo than it actually is.

My goal with the bright top and darker bottom was to bring the eyes up toward my face and minimize my hips. I didn't realize until I looked at the pictures again how much the belt was cutting the look. Without it and with higher shoes, the proportions would have been better and the outfit would have come across differently. PLUS if the skirt was smaller and actually hugged my frame.

I've worn long floaty skirts for YEARS. It's only recently that I've started to wear shorter, fitted skirts. In fact, I was surprised by how many I've had to photograph over the past few weeks. The only thing frustrating with this fitted style is my fluctuating waist. I'm still trying to figure that out as I started sewing shorter fitted styles about the same time that I gave up on dieting and began to enjoy my curvy figure. Since then I've lost weight and gained some back and could stand to lose a bit more but it's not bothering me like it used to. I just want to dress my body to it's best advantage AND sew clothes that are fun. Isn't it fabulous that sewing gives us that option?

Corinne wrote - Like most of us in middle age, I found myself at a cross-roads as well. Transition times leave us with many more questions than answers. I always felt that by the time I reached this age I would have most things figured out. I would be able to define things as black and white. Guess what? Everything is gray. Really.

Yes. I know what you mean. One friend emailed me privately and said that she thought I was trying to put myself into too small a box. On one hand, I disagree because I know what I'm yearning for. On the other, I think she's right. While I might feel my wardrobe is boring and doesn't reflect me, I also know that I have a really good grasp of what I like and am drawn to and that I simply need to move in that direction combining complimentary styles with gorgeous fabrics and texture and detail and visual interest to make those shapes more interesting. OH... and I could use a few more sewing hours in each day and a million more bucks in my bank account.




Sewing Vogue 8392 has been another opportunity to ask myself what was I thinking. I started out making the white view with the three ruffles. Really? Big ruffles like these are so not me. All I can think is that I wanted something challenging and different that would intrigue the customers at work. HOWEVER...




... the fabric was a nightmare. When I stitched the side seam, it shrank an inch. In order to maintain the length, I had to pin the seam to, and stitch through, tissue paper and then pull the paper out which required a short stitch length. Four times for the side seams. Four times for the shoulder seams. Because I sewed French seams. The fabric kept shrinking and skewing. I abandoned the project when neither the rolled hem on the serger nor tissue and the sewing machine could make the hems of the ruffles look decent. At that point, I knew I couldn't honestly recommend the fabric to a customer anyway so...




... I switched to sewing the yellow view out of the silk noil in my stash. There's still a huge bolt of this at the store so it's a doable choice for an alternative project fabric. That said, I have a feeling that I'll get the finished top on and hate it even though I love the fabric. Now that I've taken two steps back, the style doesn't feel vintage-y wonderful, it feels prissy contained. It'll be interesting to see if I can pull it of when it's finished.

The horrible original fabric and how much I love silk noil led to my intention to ruthlessly purge my stash some time soon. I've been aware that it's too big for quite a while - too big as in overwhelmingly big and preventing me from accomplishing. I wasn't sure how to downsize but now... anything floaty see through, anything hugely polyester, anything not really me is going to go until all that's left is room to breathe and a lot of excitement over the pending potential of my stash. YES YES

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - feedback and compliments. THANK YOU!

4 comments:

  1. I've made a hybrid version of the top and show it in http://badmomgoodmom.blogspot.com/2010/08/handmade-homemade-vogue-8392.html

    I wear it often during the summer. Sans the ruffly sleeves and the mock t-neck, it is a good summer basic top.

    My only quibble is that I should have added width to the sleeve when I added length. YMMV, but I found that the pattern went together well and was a quick sew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading along on your journey but haven't commented lately. I think it's interesting to watch you go through this process.

    I second Clio's comments about buying the basics. I can't remember the last time I made a t-shirt or a basic tank top. My sewing time is limited and I want to get the most enjoyment from it so I only sew the major things...pants, jackets, skirts and dresses!

    As for pantyhose, I only do those in the spring, fall and winter. Once the temperatures hit the high 70s off they come. But count me in with the women who love pantyhose especially the ones with the lycra in them. There's something a little sexy about a man's hand sliding down or up them. Dates me yes I know! *LOL*

    Finally, your fabric collection. Definitely purge from it what you don't like...but you will only replace it with things that are more you now. I know because I went through this exercise 6 years ago when I moved to this apt. Now my fabric collection is twice the size it was before - but it's all me at this stage of my life now.

    Sorry the comment is so long! Thanks again for sharing your journey with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like wearing pantyhose, too, and have not enjoyed these last few years when it's been very out of style. I think hose finishes a look well, and certainly hides all the small imperfections of my legs. But I'm reading that there's a new interest in looking ladylike rather than skin-bearing provocative. And hose is part of that. Catherine, the new Duchess of Cambridge is said to be a part of this new trend with her hose and more classic style of dressing.

    I like the yellow version of the pattern. When you said you were going to make the ruffled sleeve version, the first thing I thought of was - what a way to make me look wider across the bust.

    I've been really picky about fabric choices for a long time. I buy very little polyester fabric, and never for tops or dresses. It doesn't breathe well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still wear pantyhose, even at home. There just are times when they are the right accoutrement (hope I spelled that right).

    I have the same top cut out but then lost my enthusiasm. I'm afraid it too will become a wadder for no other reason than I cut too many projects at one time. The yellow view turns me off and I can't figure out why. Somehome the front darts and high neckline look, I don't know, strangling or something. I'm looking forward to seeing your end product

    ReplyDelete