_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 19 July 2010

A Bit More Style

The sleeves on this purchased t-shirt give it a bit more style than the typical short sleeve has. The middle is black elastic and the cap is gathered. It doesn't look like they used transparent elastic although it's evenly done, perhaps with a gathering foot or as a ratio on the serger. I'll have to ask Charlene at Anderson's Sewing Center if (or how) my serger will do that. I'd like to copy these on to another t-shirt.




I hemmed the t-shirt. Probably too short. When I was marking and trimming, I wasn't thinking about how the fabric might shrink. It's rayon. I've had a lot of trouble with shrinking fabric this year, even when I've prewashed it.




I went to the reunion. I even had fun, stayed late, and got home around midnight. It was WAY different this year than the last two times. With a few exceptions, people were genuinely glad to see each other and willing to talk. A lot of us showed up feeling the same way - wondering why we were there. Perhaps because of that we were more relaxed. Definitely the setting was less formal. We met at the pub in the school neighbourhood.

Many of the conversations were about hobbies as opposed to careers which was a much more interesting change. I got a lot of envious looks for my sabbatical status, especially from the women, and lots of compliments on the skirt. The range of children's ages was wide from one to twenty-nine. Some had grandchildren although most didn't. Most were in a similar stage to mine, nearing the end of child raising, approaching time for ourselves, and looking forward to it. There was talk of a thirty-fifth. I'd go hoping it was as much or more fun and as relaxed as this reunion was. Apparently we're improving with age.




These large lilies are beginning to bloom in my garden. I'm not sure what they're called but they're slightly later than my other lilies and have a pink/orange/yellow center. There are LOTS of buds on the plants. They're going to be gorgeous in a few days which is just perfect. My cousin is coming to visit tomorrow. The garden will be pretty and somewhat weedy. I'm having a hard time keeping up with the yard without Howard's help. Oh well - the view is lovely, the chairs are comfortable, and the drinks are chilled. Good and enough.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - that I came away from the reunion feeling positive

6 comments:

  1. Those beautiful flowers look like a variety of daylily to me, not the standard yellowy-orange ones, but something more special. All daylilies have flowers that bloom of one day only, but new buds open each day.

    I love reading about what you are doing with your home, and all your thoughtful sewing projects. You are one of my online inspirations

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful lilies.

    Your outfit looks great. I'm glad you had fun at your reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the flowers are daylilies too. They are beautiful. You are brave to go to a reunion, I chickened out of my 20 year one! Love your black top and skirt, it's a nice combination, the sleeves really make the top interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad things are easing up for you, I have been reading but not commenting lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your skirt and I am glad you went to your reunion and had a good time.

    :)Deb M .

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look beautiful in your new top and that fabulous skirt. I am glad you had a good time at your reunion. If we have another I might even go; I think it would be fun now that I have let those ancient demons go.

    ReplyDelete