_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 14 July 2010

Return To Routine - NOT

Howard first went into the hospital on June 20th. After a week in and out and in and out, surgery, recovery, ten days flat on his back, and seven days (he's saying they were) pain free, he went back to work this morning on a very limited, very light, work load. They'll be happy if he spends the day sleeping in the lunch room as long as he helps organize the men.

You'd think that would mean a return to routine for me. NOT! I'd like nothing more than to lock myself in my studio and ignore the world only... there's a list... and it's not even mine.

I'm a huge and vocal advocate of self care. I know all about establishing boundaries. I have absolutely no trouble saying no to people. I get, at a very core level, how important it is for me to refresh and energize. I completely understand that the better I care for myself, the better I will care for those I love. I've done the near break down thing before and even so, that's not enough. Other's things can take up way too much of your time. I find summers especially difficult. My routine just goes out the window but not usually this out the window.

It has been twenty-four days, with the exception of that bra, since I sewed in my studio. When I went to bed Monday night, my big goal for Tuesday was to sew something. It didn't happen. Today, I've downsized. My goal is simply to cut something out. It's Wednesday. I really, Really, REALLY hope that Wendy is coming to sew tonight as usual. It would help significantly. Meanwhile...

I woke up this morning to a link for the Fall 2010 Vogue pattern collection and decided to approach viewing it as a Style Mentor exercise to see what I was attracted to and why. The more I read through What To Wear For the Rest of Your Life, the more I realize that I do actually know what I like and I do know what suits my body. Kim will give a suggestion and I'll be nodding because I've already been there, done that, for years, which leads me right back to where I started - bored with the lines and styles that I've already discovered - years ago - suit my body and safely entrenched in a feel too-good closet of jeans and black t-shirts. The answer remains to take it up at least one notch and keep going from there. While viewing the patterns, I paid careful attention to my self talk.




V1193 is a "safe" dress. It has easily adjustable style lines, a pleat from the left hip across the tummy to hide any excess weight, elbow length sleeves to cover my lack of exercise, small pleats at the shoulder to balance my hips, and a simple neckline. I'm drawn to its simplicity and, for the same reason, repulsed by it. It seems like I always end up in something like this when...




... my heart went yes, yes, yes when I saw V1202. The gathers across the skirt are fabulous. The seeming primness of the front is wonderfully contrasted with the open back of the top. Love the drape. My self talk said and where will you wear that and what about a bra which really makes me think sew the darn thing. I'm debating a mesh insert at the back with a contrasting bra - a suggestion that was made on a video I watched the other day about evening t-shirts.




V8679 is a wardrobe pattern. It claims it's not suitable for my triangle figure type. Hmm... I'm not sure why because other than the risk of looking frumpy, these lines would work for me. I particularly like the pants. The flare below the knees would balance my hips just as a fit and flared skirt does.




The style lines on this V1204 pattern are fabulous with interesting seams. This garment is supposed to look good on my figure style. Really? I know it wouldn't feel good. I'd feel prissed up around the neck, devoid of a waist, the length would make me feel frumpy, and the skinny jeans would make me feel like my hips were vastly on display. Even if physically it looked good, emotionally it's NOT me!




It's the same with V8677. The high waisted skirt is fabulous. I'm short waisted. It won't work. The pleats in the back are amazing and would do amazing things for my flat behind. The rest is too prissy for me. I'd again feel locked into this coat. In contrast...



I quite liked the style lines of Sandra Betzina's V1198 jacket especially the elastic at the back waist that helps to give it shape but skip the cuffs. They'd add unnecessary inches to my hips. The rest is warm and cozy, fitted but not too fluffy. The right fabric would make it softer and more me. Nothing too stiff. I'm desperately in need of a fall coat. Perhaps if I start now there's hope.




Maybe a cape? I saw a young woman at Starbucks yesterday wearing a cape similar to V8674. It caught my eye right away and seemed one of those garments that could be carried off at any age.



LOVE the draping on V1191. Can you see the similarities between this and the brown V1202 top above. I'm drawn to things that have classic clean lines, details, soft structure, and drape. Again, where would I wear a dress like this? Again, does it matter? It might even be shortened into a top that would be far more fun than this V8669 although even it is a step up from plain black with a V or round neck, which is the description of the majority of my wardrobe.




As I started to describe the different patterns to you, I deleted a whole bunch that were just too play it safe. What an eye opener to talk about these. It illustrated how much I yearn for that and settle for this as I described the other day. The task now - to step it up.




Stepping it up has to come step-by-step. Giant leaps would make me feel uncomfortable. This V8665 dress might be a good place to start. Fabric choices could make it fun and an interesting bolero, jacket, or cardigan would finish the look as could...




... some variety in handbags. In The Thoughtful Dresser, author Linda Grant talked about her mother's and her own handbag collections and about her mother's advice that a good handbag makes the outfit. She went on to describe those women who have only one, boring, basic, handbag that they use for every outfit. Yes... well... I'm one of them. Didn't used to be.

Handbags are another one of those things I've let slide partly because it's a pain in the butt to change handbags and partly because I seem to be attracted to outrageously priced handbags and there's NO WAY that I'm paying that for that. Perhaps I'll add handbags to my long list of things to sew.

What do you think? Which of these patterns looks more Myrna to you?

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - that Howard feels well enough to go to work and hopeful that he won't over do it

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean about the figure types on Vogue patterns. I've given up looking at them completely! I think you can't really divide figures into just four different types because height makes such a difference. It's always interesting to look at the pattern collections through someone else's eyes, you've given me a new perspective on that Dkny top and skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Vogue chose the figure type on that wardrobe pattern based only on the full skrit with the fitted jacket and did not look at other options. Increasingly I agree with Catherine and don't always look at them; I look at the lines of the pattern and what works for me.

    I like your discussion of the patterns and your thought processes as you examine them. I adore 1202 and ordered it although I don't know where I will wear it either. I just realized I don't care. I'm increasingly tired of what I'm "supposed" to wear and only interested in what I want to wear, be "too dressed" or "too casual" as long as it is not completely inappropriate. I have realized I personally cannot go that far.

    ReplyDelete