_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 8 July 2010

Patio Paint

The back of our house has been sadly neglected for the past six years while we've worked on other projects. A couple months ago, when we had the lower patio poured, it felt like we were finally making progress. We got a quote an all the odd jobs that needed to be done and were about to go ahead with that when Howard had his emergency surgery. With him off work, the total bill is way too high right now BUT...

There are some jobs that should be done and some that can be done. Next week, a carpenter will finish around the two patio doors and seal all the back windows. These have been raw and open and would be better sealed against the weather. Larger cracks have developed and we are worried about water and the foundation. It has to be done. The carpenter is also giving us a quote on finishing under the deck. If that's doable, we'll go ahead with it too. That would finish the two back decks completely. Meanwhile...





... I had a gallon of exterior primer and a gallon and a half of 8598D exterior paint. Whatever color 8598D was, it would be enough to paint the upper back deck. Prior to our buying the house, a tree fell across and damaged the deck. When it was repaired, not only did they do a really poor job, they choose this poop brown color. Yuck. I started with the primer coat and then 8598D which turned out to be...




... a lovely blue-green. It's a darker version of the wall color in the living and dining rooms and looks fabulous through the french doors.




I had four cans of spray paint - two in black and two in burgundy. Since I'm debating painting the patio door either burgundy or purple, I chose black for the wicker chairs and used one can each which really wasn't enough but was a good beginning. Later, I'll add a thicker coat.




The chairs will go with this black metal table that's sitting in the living room while the patio paint dries. I'd like to sew outdoor cushions in a green and purple print and buy an outdoor area rug with similar colors. We have a gorgeous view from the deck. Howard and I often have dinner out there when it's just the two of us.




My next project is to paint these Adirondack chairs purple. They're moving from the front yard to the edge of the cliff at the back where they'll have a similar view to the one from the deck. It'll be a lovely place to have coffee. The sun is on the back of the house in the morning and early afternoon and on the front of the house in the late afternoon and evening. We just follow the sun or shade as need be.



Howard saw the doctor yesterday. It was day eleven and his first pain free day. After seven of those, he's allowed to go back to work although he can't lift, reach, bend, or twist for another seven weeks from then. He's allowed to supervise and to sit for fifteen minutes at a time. Good enough. He's in such a hurry to get back. He's counting on seven pain free days in a row and being back in the shop next Wednesday.

I can only imagine how boring it is to do nothing all day especially when you have to ask for help with everything and I'm sure it does not help when your wife is crabby. Yesterday, I was the crabbiest crab in Crabarinaville. Not pretty. Hopefully today goes better.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a clean, freshly painted deck using supplies I already had

5 comments:

  1. What a breathtaking view!!! The color is beautiful! There is no way you were the crabbiest, because I was by far the crabbiest person I know, yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every patient and every caretaker has off days. It is just part of the territory. Having just gone through a hip revision after dislocating my artifical hip I know that there are moments that really need to be forgotten.

    I agree that the view is beautiful. I envy you your location and wish I lived further north. Currently I am just north of Cincinnat, Oh. I was raised near Detroit, Mi. Having visited Sioux Narrows in Canada I can really understand how lovely the entire country must be.

    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have spectacular space outdoors and your painting has spruced things up nicely. Your cushions will look wonderful. How nice that you can improve your space with your own imagination and elbow grease. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What gorgeous views and the color of that patio is just lovely. What a joy. We all have crabby days. I think I am the crabbiest; it is part of being human.

    ReplyDelete