_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 28 July 2010

Back To Work Program

In case after rambling on about other things I forget to answer Shirley's question from last week, she asked what are the two cookbooks you like best?

The first is Flying Apron Gluten Free and Vegan Baking Book. The reason I purchased this book is because the author owns a bakery in Seattle. I decided that if she could keep a business going selling these foods, then they must taste good and I can figure this out. I certainly haven't tried all the recipes but so far only one hasn't worked for me and that's the bread. Hopefully, I just need more practice. The second is The Gluten-Free Vegan. Most of the recipes I've tried from this book have been main meals rather than baking and most of them I have liked. I gravitate toward these two books because they are both gluten free and vegan which solves my gluten, dairy, and egg allergies all at once and means there are less substitutions.

Lydia wrote - I know what you mean about black. I look as if I am in perpetual morning but it ties in with everything. Like you, I now am trying to break out of the mould but if you look at all my fabrics, what do you see????? Black. I think I need a support group!

Yes, it's easy and comfortable to just grab black. Like you, the majority of my fabric stash is either black or dark so sewing off the stash while hoping to add more color gets tricky. I want to adjust rather than break the mould. I like black. Black with color is just perfect. And I prefer a darker color on the bottom. I'd like to add brighter color near my face. With the fabric, I'm going to evolve by buying colors for the stash and black only if I have a purpose to sew it immediately.

sdBev wrote - Girl, you are overthinking this. Get in your sewing room and make something. Just go in there, close your eyes, and pick up a piece of fabric. Open your eyes and say this should be a (use the first word that pops into your mind). Then make it. Your fabric choices alone will provide variety. Most of us tend to choose the same colors over and over ensuring that whatever you pick up will probably work with whatever you already have. Use your existing patterns and during fitting, adjust for the new smaller you. Quit thinking. Get sewing.

That had me rolling on the floor laughing. Thank you so much Bev. I used to tell my students that the hardest thing to do was start so set a timer and when it rings, grab the nearest thing and go. It's so easy to become paralyzed with procrastination. Nothing like having your words come back at you. Just like raising children. So funny. Thanks. And yes. I am overthinking. I am SO VERY GOOD at that.

Carol wrote - I agree with Bev, don't over think this. Don't feel guilty about buying things you could make. Sometimes it's the best thing to do.

Buying things - especially if they are a good deal - doesn't make me feel guilty. It just hard to do which I find really interesting because I'm not unusually shaped. I remember reading that the majority of women have a triangle body shape although I'm not sure I agree with that. There are so many varieties on varieties. Either way, I went back yesterday to buy the t-shirt, tried it on, and both Carey - the sales clerk - and I said no way. The armhole was so low, it puffed out forward and I couldn't move my arms. The color was gorgeous. The sleeves divine. The fit horrendous. Hmm... I think that's why I sew.




Sue wrote - Definitely go and buy the jeans!! You will make your seven t-shirts in the time it takes to make two pairs of jeans. Buy two bras and two pair of knickers (if you find some on special) then you aren't desperate for underwear and get sewing skirts and other stuff. When you have some basics, sew your underwear.

I should have been clearer about the jeans. I bought them weeks ago although last week, when I was back in the store, they were on sale 50% off meaning that I could have had them for $34.00 each which would have been great. I now know to watch for sales on that brand. They fit so wonderfully, I'll be buying more.

The bra that I like to wear only comes in black and white. I was thinking of buying a few white ones and dyeing them. What fun that would be. But... your comment made me laugh Sue because I'd just gotten back from trying to buy lingerie lace to make panties. In the closet clean, I found a knit skirt and a stretch lace t-shirt that are destined for refashion. Both would make great bra and pantie sets.

My friend Caroline, from Yellowknife, is in town visiting relatives. Tomorrow, she's coming over for a bra sewing lesson. I'll sew the bra but not the panties. The lingerie lace was ridiculously priced. The three I picked out were $3.25, $6,75, and $12.50 per meter. Hello. I couldn't believe it. I went on line to SewSassy.com and they have much cheaper choices. I'll place an order some time soon.

Refashioning is something I've really come to enjoy over the last few years first with textile art and now with clothing. It's a very fun, very creative, challenge. One of those seven black t-shirts in my closet has the hem coming down. It's made of 100% cotton and will make great liners for the panties. That's not the right word but I don't think gusset is either. You know what I mean.

Kathie wrote - You've inspired me to head upstairs with my second cup of coffee and actually empty the shelves in my "casual wear" closet. Just how many red t-shirts does one woman need ??? even though she wears them for work sometimes, gardening often, and dirty jobs such as painting sometimes. Since closet space is at such a premium in my 1870's house, clearing out will accomplish things.

Happy closet cleaning. Clearing out always seems to come around for me when I'm about to make a decision. It's like I'm creating new flow. I wonder if that's the anxiety you said you read in the entry because I didn't think I was feeling anxious. Interesting.

Bobbikg, Lois, and Brenda, thanks for your comments on having a plan. One of the things I loved so much about teaching was how we are all unique and we are all the same. What works for one person might not work for another and then again, it might. Sharing information - ideas - support - is so amazing.

The other thing I miss about teaching is teaching and that's the decision I've been working on for the last few weeks. While I have toyed with the idea of going back to a traditional job over the past year, I've only made token inquiries. If financially we need me to work, I can and will and will be an amazing employee but unless that happens, I'd prefer a back to work program.

Back in April, I mentioned that I was thinking over a possible direction but didn't want to talk about it until I had taken more time to make my decision. I've made it. While I won't be going back to a traditional job, I am looking for opportunities to teach both online and in real life and I plan to write a book (maybe two) starting this fall.

The book will be on how to be creative with fashion as opposed to with textile art and will transfer and adapt the information I taught previously to this new form. I'll continue to teach design in both textile art and fashion. Design basics are the same. It's just the media that changes. I'm quite excited about both the return to teaching and this book project. Some of the garments that I could have been sewing are ones I'd like to show in the book so I've been holding off on making them until I made the decision and figured out a plan for the illustrations.

AND...

... I want to work on being more fit and toned. After Howard's hospital stay, I've realized how important it is to be flexible, able to fall, confident in your movements, at a good body weight, and things like that. I have some obsessive compulsive tendencies. I tend to go all in one direction. It would be easy for the writing or the sewing to totally consume my life while everything else goes out the window. The last time that I worked from home, there was a definite lack of balance in my life. Going back, I want to ensure that balance is there including some form of regular exercise... which will affect my sewing.

I'll tone up and I'll change size which are more reasons why I've been dragging my butt with sewing. Losing thirty pounds already created all kinds of havoc with my wardrobe. Deliberately creating more havoc seemed counter product - to a wardrobe but not to my health. Oh well. I'll just have to sew more to keep up. Being healthy is more important.

Today, I need to knit two squares for a group baby afghan. I started yesterday and they ended up too big. After that, I'll get things ready for Caroline's visit tomorrow and then go for coffee with a friend. My next sewing project will be a t-shirt. I have a decided lack of them right now.

Thanks for all the comments. Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a decision made

4 comments:

  1. "I am looking for opportunities to teach both online and in real life and I plan to write a book (maybe two) starting this fall."

    Tell us more about the teaching. I have been hoping that you would start online teaching again. Even through your blog you have been teaching me things about clothing that I have started to incorporate in my procedures. Do I owe you money for that? ;)

    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like this time has been very productive for you in just pulling together many threads in your life and regaining a sense of direction.

    And I hear you about the lull and lack of balance. I was happy to stay on an even keel for a while; it was much easier on day to day life and my wardrobe, but not better in the long run for my health. I've started working out again and already I am seeing a difference; which of course means that I'll have to run just to keep up with wardrobe demands.

    Always fascinating and thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you Myrna. I know that with your plan and positive attitude you'll get your 7 and a fabulous wardrobe to boot! Hang in there and keep your chin up on the crappy days (I'm having one of those myself, today and you brightened things up for me).
    As to underwear sewing, I had good luck with BraMakers.com - although a much faster response on the phone than by e-mail. And Canadian as well,
    take care,

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! I'm so glad to hear you plan to teach online again - you are one of the best teachers I've ever had even though it was online-and that includes face-to-face teachers! Look forward to whatever you decide to do.
    Lyn in Australia

    ReplyDelete