_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 27 July 2010

Start With Seven

If you've been reading my blog for any length of time, you know that my closet and I have a love hate relationship. Saturday - when I thought I'd be sewing - I was suddenly hit by the closet cleaning bug. Perhaps by sifting, sorting, cleaning, and clearing yet once again I thought that I could find something that didn't exist before. Like clothes to wear. Clothes that didn't all look the same. Clothes that were wonderful, flirty, fun, finished, me.

My closet pretends to be sparsely stocked and yet even that paucity is a lie. It's darn near empty. Me Made May, Self Stitched September, 30 for 30, Six Items or Less - NONE of these is possible with my wardrobe. Wait! Maybe six items or less since similar garments count as one. That would mean my seven black t-shirts, two pairs of jeans, and similar skirts would basically be equal which explains why my wardrobe looks morphed and morbid.




In the picture above, sweaters are hanging along the bottom. Thirteen. Apparently, I love sweaters. On the shelf above them is clothing that I actually wear, and on the one above that is accumulated clothing rarely worn. The picture below shows skirts hanging to the right. Eleven. Even though I wear jeans more than skirts ? ? ? Over in the dresser, there is one drawer (only) of bras, panties, socks, tights, pantyhose, and camisoles and one drawer (only) of sleepwear. There's even an empty drawer.




Separating the clothing onto wear and don't wear shelves was an eye opener. The don't wear pile is bigger. I asked myself why don't I wear these garments? Sometimes, I loved the color but not the style. Sometimes, I loved the style but not the fabric. Sometimes, the sizing was too big or too small. Sometimes, neither the style, color, or size did me any favours yet I keep these garments anyway because I have nothing else to wear. Perhaps to avoid facing a totally bare shelf which would be more than I can handle right now. Perhaps as an insurance policy against nakedness and wardrobe malfunction although that seems rather silly.

Sorting the two shelves clarified why I have both clothes and nothing to wear. The seven black t-shirts vary only in neck shape and degree of fadedness. I have two other t-shirts in a pink and a blue print. Of the thirteen sweaters, two are worn as housecoats, two are lacy and impractical, two are brand new, five are black, two are grey, and one is dark navy, somewhat lacy, and somewhat impractical. Its sleeves are constantly dragging into things.

Of the skirts, three are winter fabrics, two are lace and too fancy for every day, three are the Reitman's copies made recently, and three are my version of shorts, identical in shape and style, varying only in color and print. These are five years old already. Read I am bored with them. The only thing stopping me from chopping them up is nothing to wear.

On the wear shelf, far left, are out of season turtlenecks. Hanging below with the sweaters is my pink coat. These are all my clothes not just my summer clothes. I've talked about this before. This lack of wardrobe. It's a point of stress for me. It has me spinning my heels not quite knowing which direction to go in. There is so little in my closet that the task before me has become overwhelmingly huge and when I think about it, it gets even larger and larger. I've almost been tempted - almost - to throw it all out. That would certainly force me to take action.

Tom's question in Life! By Design - are you happy - helped me take a good look at what was missing. I asked myself all sorts of questions like am I happy with how many clothes I have? Am I happy with how many skirts, jeans, pants, t-shirts, dresses, sweaters, coats, lingerie (and so on) that I have? Am I happy with the fabrics used? Am I happy with the colors? Am I happy with how much black there is? Am I happy with the styles? AND... if not, why not and what am I going to do differently?

As we near the end of August, I am thinking about my goals for the next school year. I set personal goals in January and work related goals in September. Unless our financial situation changes significantly, I won't be getting a traditional job so work related this year means starting on a major, self directed, project. I live best with a focus or I tend to wander around aimlessly, accomplishing nothing, which really frustrates me for wasting time.

Most of my time will mostly be spent at home. On a pie chart, it would easily break down to 80% at home and 15% (or even less) outside the home with about 5% (or even less) dressier occasions. I've decided to start with seven. Seven t-shirts that are different and I love. Seven skirts and pants that I love. Seven sweaters that I love. Seven sets of lingerie (1 bra, two panties) that I love and so on.

TOP of the list of requirements is that I love it. That means the garment is in a style, fabric, and color that makes me feel wonderful. That could take some time. Next will be variety. No making one thing and then making it over again without variation. The results have to differ. Third will be color. I love color and I love black. Somehow, I've ended up with a mostly black wardrobe. It's time for that to change. I want both. Fourth will be interchangeability. I want garments that mix and match and go together. Fifth will be adaptability. I want to be able to dress some of the garments up or down as needed and I'd like most of them to be multi-seasoned requiring a little more layering in winter and a little less in summer. At least for starters until I get that basic wardrobe together.

AND... I may need to buy a few things even though the price tags drives me crazy. In May, I found two pairs of Nygaard jeans. They were $68.00 each which is way more than I'm used to paying for jeans. Only they fit me fabulously. Yesterday, I found a gorgeous t-shirt with those gathered and pleated sleeves in purple for $39.00. I admired it, checked out how it was sewn, and didn't buy it. That seemed way too much and yet later, at Fabricland, a similar fabric was $19.00 per meter. I wouldn't normally pay that either. I'd wait for it to come on sale. Perhaps I can't afford to wait - for the sale or to sew. I just might go back and buy that t-shirt only...

I don't have a regular paycheque so this is going to get interesting but somehow, some way, I'll end up with a wearable wardrobe. I'll start by making a few lists of what I need, my priorities, a color palette, fabrics I have to sew with, and garments that I should buy. I feel like I have both a good sense of where I'm going with this and not enough information. I know I don't want seven blouses, jackets, or dresses. I rarely wear these garments HOWEVER.... the concept of start with seven gives me a framework to move around. There are seven days in the week. Seven interchangeable outfits will give me endless possibilities. After that, I can take it up a notch or two or three. What do you think?

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a plan. I feel less like I'm floundering and more focused.

8 comments:

  1. Myrna.....I know what you mean about black. I look as if I am in perpetual mourning, but it ties in with everything. Like you, I now am trying to break out of the mould, but if you look at all my fabrics, what do you see????? Black. I think I need a support group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you are overthinking this. Get in your sewing room and make something. Just go in there close you eyes and pick up a piece of fabric. Open your eyes and say this should be a (use the first word that pops into your mind). Then make it. Your fabric choices alone will provide variety. Most of us tend to choose the same colors over and over ensuring that whatever you pick up will probably work with whatever you already have. Use your existing patterns and during fitting, adjust for the new smaller you. Quit thinking. Get sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Bev, don't over think this. Don't feel guilty about buying things you could make. Sometimes it's the best thing to do. Yesterday I bought some long sleeved t shirts. I know I can make them, I have the perfect pattern and if I were prepared to wait and order fabric I could knock four or so out in one day. They were $15 each and in a range of colours that match what I'm wearing at the moment. I bought four and have instantly extended my wardrobe. On the drive home I was inspired by these tops and went straight into my sewing room and knocked out a mini skirt from a scrap of leftover doubleknit, which instantly gave me a perfect travel wardrobe for a trip this weekend (and took a whole hour from cut to hem). I find when I let go of the 'could have, would have, should have' mentality with which I constantly berate myself, that inspiration and energy comes from places I hadn't expected. You're right that topping your list should be that you love something. From there,the rest will just happen. You just have to trust yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely go and buy the jeans!! You will make your seven t-shirts in the time it takes to make two pairs of jeans.
    Buy two bras and two pair of knickers (if you find some on special) then you aren't desperate for underwear and get sewing skirts and other stuff. When you have some basics sew your underwear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Myrna, I love that you have a plan and I think it's a great one. I need a plan and a list or I flit from one thing to another(ADD.)I agree-go buy those jeans! If they fit fabulously, you will feel wonderful every time you put them on. Then sew something easy like a colorful t shirt to get that wardrobe growing. I look forward to seeing what you'll make.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Myrna,
    I am a reformed black-a-holic. ;) Black is easy and looks good in the ads. I reached a point where I had a closet full of black tee shirts (in various states of fadedness) and black pants and jeans. And black is not a good color for me. About 2 years ago I found somebody to "do my colors." She told me I should be wearing spring colors - and while it took me a while to warm to the idea, I get many more compliments now that I am wearing a lot of coral, purple and green.

    Two things that have helped with my wardrobe are to be deliberate in my color choices so the two shades of coral really work together, and to pay attention to how elements of the garments work together - especially necklines.

    I agree with you on the sevens. I live a very casual life style. I need seven days worth of tees and jeans and a few pairs of nice pants. I would like to buy some of these items, and sometimes I can find a garment that fits well enough, but ready-to-wear isn't really made to fit me. Like you, I am working to get some TNT patterns that fit so that I can use them to create what I want. If my weight would stabalize, that would be easier. ;)

    Enjoy the sewing, whatever you make.

    Lois K

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you have a great plan. I, too, like to plan. I need dresses for church. That is all I am making, dress after dress. I found I am making everything pink! Or pink with some other color. I made myself by some blue fabric and some black and white. It has been fun sewing with a purpose. I live in jeans and t-shirts at home, uniform (provided) at work so all I really need is church clothes. I have five summer dresses and three winter dresses so far. It is so nice to look in the closet and have some choices! Enjoy the process!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, Myrna! I could feel your anxiety as I read this entry... A plan is a good thing, but do try to find a way to purchase a couple of the items you've found that make you smile as to fit and design. They will fuel your energy into the sewing.

    You've inspired me to head back upstair with my second cup of coffee and actually empty the shelves in my "casual wear" closet. Just how many red t-shirts does one woman need???, even though she wears them for work sometimes, gardening often and dirty jobs such as painting sometimes... Since closet space is at such a premium in my 1870s house, clearing out will accomplish several things.

    Hi Ho... I'm off!

    thanks for your wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete