_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 16 July 2010

Pretty Peaceful Inviting

Last week, I managed to get the Adirondack chairs painted. The color is Royalty from Home Hardware using their Beauty Tone paint. Normally, I use Benjamin Moore paint. This product is as nice as the ads say. It goes on smooth and even and is thick enough not to be too drippy. I think the price is pretty similar - expensive. Good paint and good fabric have things in common.




The chairs could probably have used a third coat - oh well. They looked dumb where I thought I wanted them, sitting on the edge of the cliff in the back yard looking out at the view, so they're in the front up against the garden instead. There they look pretty, peaceful, and inviting.

Cory from The Finishing Touch is coming mid morning Saturday to finish the trim around the two patio doors. It's so about time. We left this job undone for almost six years. I can hardly wait to see it clean and finished. He dropped off the trim Wednesday afternoon so I could paint one coat before it went up and then another afterward. That's what I did yesterday and then - while in painting mode - moved on to other areas like the trim around the garage door and the side entrance. It looks SO NICE. I wish I'd done this sooner.

I can hardly wait until the door is finished. It's the same purple as the chairs. What you see here is one coat. It'll take at least two more. The front door will be the same color. I'm not sure about the patio doors yet. Probably purple. The other two - the door to the garbage room and to the under porch storage - are painted invisible, the same color as the siding. They didn't need to be obvious to anyone but us.




When I'm not painting, there is a black, wrought iron bench just to the left of this entrance up against the L shape of the house walls. I'm debating spray painting it navy blue. It would look fabulous with the purple. It's a fuchsia shade of purple, bright and pink-ish, one of my favourite colors. It looks wonderful with navy blue and lime green. I'd also like to replace that carpet with something far more interesting. It's a Wal-Mart special. Works for now. Not my favourite.

Sue wrote - By the way, I loved that pink jacket. The color was lovely on you. Maybe you need to find some pink knit? ?

Carrie asked - Do tell us where you found such a cool sweater for $25.99. I do not own a Calvin Klein top, but I have purchased their bottoms at Costco and like them.

It was so cold the other day that I wore the jacket for a walk around the block with my husband. He commented on how good it looked and how much he liked the color. When I wore the raspberry blouse Monday, it got a lot of comments as did the black and white floral skirt on Tuesday. Apparently, I need to wear color just a bit more. I was looking at the sweater on Millicent and thinking it would look great with a pink or teal shirt and some dark grey dress pants. Something to think about for fall - which will be here faster than I think considering the date and how my summer is going. I got the sweater at Costco.

This weekend looks like more of the same, mainly looking after other people. I hope to finish those PJ pants and start sewing something else. Oh yeah - there's the 30th reunion. I'm still undecided but most likely I'll go, unless I forget. I could get distracted by purple doors. I'll let you know Monday.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - finishing things and a fresh clean look

4 comments:

  1. I love the color of the paint you're using--quite different than the usual white or forest green. Very cheerful and suit your personality. I hope Howard will enjoy them too--my DH is definitely a beige guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, Myrna! You're the first person I've ever "known" who also has purple doors! My purple is more blue/purple, but purple nonetheless. My house is an 1870s gothic victorian out in the country in upstate New York... painted the palest of creamy pink with white trim. I've gotten some of the absolutely funniest comments on the doors... and 10 years later I still love them and can't think of another color I'd like better.
    Thanks for always having such an interesting blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. purple is an amazing color!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Myrna, I love the purple door! If a painted front door went with my house which is all woodsy contemporary stained siding, I would have one. I do have a purple door inside though. Mine is a deep dark purple and we put a a diagonal stripe on it in green and a burnished gold.

    I love it that you embrace color. And I am excited to read about your painting. I have much to do as well, but am still preoccupied with other tasks.

    ReplyDelete