_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 6 July 2010

Work In Series

My knitting group knits preemie hats and booties for the hospital axillary. Everyone is encouraged to make six sets per year. I dislike working in such small sizes and instead knit toques for a homeless shelter. Last year, I donated twelve. I want to do that again this year and thought I'd get an early start since they only take a couple hours each and are an easy 2 x 2 rib - the perfect think-less project.




Making multiples is an opportunity to work in series. Series work involves taking an idea, working with it repetitively, and stretching it as far as you can. Typically the series has some boundaries such as the repeat pattern of the toque and the three yarns that I've chosen. Series work starts with the obvious - one toque in each color - and evolves from there. My goal is twelve toques, all different.




The fourth toque that I'm knitting now starts with gold and will have stripes of the green yarn. Those stripes can be thick or thin, evenly spaced or not. The idea of stripes could create endless combinations. What if I created diagonal stripes by moving the yarn over each row? That might evolve to creating checks by alternating yarns. What if I combined stripes and checks? What if I combined vertical and horizontal stripes? What if I ..... you get the idea.

What happens with series work is that the artist starts with the obvious, moves to some simple next choices, takes it up a notch with more complicated choices, and eventually begins moving through creative, free thinking, really exciting options. We think we can't possibly think of another idea and then we do. If you doubt what I'm saying, grab three pencil crayons, a piece of paper, and quickly draw "toque" ideas. You'll see what I mean.

When I taught classes on creating independent art (pattern free, self directed) working in series was one of the concepts we explored. It has applications to fashion sewing. Any time we perfect a pattern, we are working in series growing our knowledge and ability with each step. Using a T & T pattern as a base and taking it in numerous directions is working in series. Working with a specific color or fabric type is working in series. What I love about series work is how much it focuses my energies in one direction and then stretches my creative thinking skills and abilities. It grows me up.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - DAY TEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment