_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 5 July 2010

Day Nine of Ten

Carrie wrote - Last weekend, my husband and I were in a used bookstore and I found a copy of a book written by you! I didn't realize you'd already written a book on organizing one's sewing room. I bought it and will start reading soon. Have you written others?

Yes - along with Setting Up Your Sewing Space, I wrote Triangle Delight, Strip Quilts in a Hurry, and Press for Success and one of my pieces appears in the compilation Sunbonnet Sue is Alive and Well. For quite a few years, I wrote The Quilter's Web for Quilter's Newsletter Magazine. Between 1999 and 2008, I wrote about a dozen online workshops, which is just as much work as writing a book and more than some. I taught roughly 1,200 international students a year. Popular classes included Press for Success, Studio Makeover, Self Expressions, SE Studio, and Women Art Life. I also travelled to teach real world workshops - no more than three or four times a year and usually for no longer than three days. Travelling to teach was difficult with children at home.

In the beginning, I wrote about, developed patterns for, and taught techniques around traditional quilt making. Eventually my interests and focus evolved to teaching art & design, the how-to of creating independent work, textile art, and creativity coaching and to exhibiting and selling textile art pieces. My last exhibit was this past January 2010. No further exhibits are planned and I haven't taught since the summer of 2008. I closed my business at the end of 2009. I miss teaching tremendously and hope to have the opportunity to teach again some time.

Over the twenty plus years of my career, how I worked and what I taught changed considerably. That's one of the things that intrigues me about writing. While what we write reflects a moment in time that is ever changing, in print it remains forever unchanged. Anyone reading Setting Up Your Sewing Space today is reading about how I thought and created twenty-two years ago. It is understandable that they will believe I still think that way and yet back then I was a completely different person - more practical and less emotional, more product and less process driven.

Back then, a sewing room was a sewing room and I believed in organizing it for maximum production. Today, I refer to my space as my studio. It is womb-like. Its purpose is to nurture both the artist and the process. I've come to dislike speed sewing techniques and mass production in favour of enjoying the journey, the learning, or the creation of unique pieces. At one time, I was all about finishing. Now, finished products are more the bonus of the process rather than the goal.




Today is day nine of ten that Howard is supposed to spend mostly flat on his back with a little sitting and a little walking. I do anything that involves lifting, reaching, bending, or twisting. That's a lot. For the nine days that we've been home and the seven before that we were at the hospital, I haven't done a stitch of sewing BUT - - - I have spent long periods of time in my studio either sitting, knitting, reading, or staring out the window in a bit of a daze. This space is calm. It nurtures me. I am tired. More tired than I think I've ever been and so thankful for this amazing space that restores my soul and helps me to recharge. When I write and teach about studio makeovers now, it's all about creating a sanctuary. What a gift.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - tomorrow is day ten

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely answer. Restoring the soul is the answer to the mysteries of life............Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments on what your studio is and should be. I often find myself just wanting to sit here in mine - recharging.

    I just bought a recliner at the MCC Thrift store here ($20) so I can sit by the window to do handwork or take a break when I'm tired and working long hours (even nap if needed). My studio does feed my soul. Lately I've been so busy "working" at building my business I've not taken the time to let it recharge me as it should.

    Thanks for the timely reminder that the sitting and staring is part of the creative process too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for answering my question so well. No wonder you write such a wonderful blog! You have written quite a bit and have lots of experiences. I want you to know that your descriptions have inspired me to improve my space, and that will likely require relocating it - something I've put off.

    My 12'x10' laundry room is also my sewing room. We painted it yellow and it's very cheery. But it's not a studio or a nurturing space at all. This may explain why I often rearrange it as I attempt to make the space better. Perhaps the problem is just its dual use. Since I hate doing the laundry, being in that room can't be helping my creative side. I think it's time to talk with the hubby about moving my things to a more suitable part of our home.

    Myrna, perhaps it is time for you to write an updated book: "Setting up your Dream Sewing Studio" or something like that. You could teach classes on the topic as well since you love to teach.

    Thanks for teaching me so much through your blog.
    ~~Carrie~~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many hugs to you, Myrna.
    Elisabeth in France

    ReplyDelete