_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 15 July 2010

Sew Something

Jackets aren't my thing. They make me feel stiff and uncomfortable emotionally even if they're soft physically like the pink one I sewed a few months ago. I rarely wear it. On the other hand, I love sweaters and wear them all the time. Just like the black t-shirt, when I saw this grey sweater, I knew right away it was ME. It's a heavier, ribbed knit with a gentle V at the neck, shaping through the waist, hip length, and very flattering.




Details enhance the waist shaping. The partial belt is purely decorative and adds to rather than cuts through my waist. They had black. I bought this charcoal grey instead - since I have so much black already - BUT - I'll probably go back. I think I'll wear this often and it was a great price - $25.99. I'm not brand conscious but it's Calvin Klein Jeans if that matters.




Wendy came over last night and I was determined to sew something. I almost finished these leopard print PJ pants. They are too long in the body so I need to shorten from the top and add the elastic to finish them.




The fabric is a knit. I bought a LOT of it on the discount table at Fabricland a few months ago. If I don't chicken out, I'd like to make this Vogue 1179 summer dress. It's not great on waist defining shape but it's fun and summery, different and I like it. Could be even more fun in leopard.




Last night, I finished reading What to Wear for the Rest of Your Life by Kim Johnson Gross. Kim wrote a comment on the blog the other day - a personalized, yes I did read this blog entry, comment that I very much appreciated just as I appreciate the honest, real woman perspective of the book. It's not an I'm perfect and here's how you should do it type of book. It's more of an I'm figuring it out too, here's what I know so far, let me help you, kind of guide. On page 262, the book closes with...

And I wish I could tell you that finding my Feel-Good Closet means I've lost weight, am off all medication, am completely out of debt, and have found black pants and white jeans that fit perfectly! But as I have gotten back in sync with my closet, I've gotten back in sync with me. My asthma medication has been halved, as has my debt; my cholesterol is lower; and I am training for my next triathlon. I have finally learned that nothing in life is perfect. Good enough is great! If we are obsessive about our closets, we will never be pleased. If we are neglectful, we are punishing ourselves. But when we are mindful, we can be content. I like the way I feel in my clothes again. I enjoy the fashionista in me (I guess she will always be there in some capacity), but there comes a time to stop talking about clothes and live a life in them. My closet thrives with life now rather than striving to have a life.

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES !!!!!!!!

I'll take it step-by-step, one piece at a time, expanding that small Feel-Good section into something somewhat larger, better functioning, and even more me but... I'll keep it in perspective. I have neither the time, the money, nor the energy to maintain a wardrobe. I'd rather maintain a full and energizing, healthy and creative, LIFE.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - time in the sewing room, the support of friends

5 comments:

  1. Myrna: I made that DKNY dress and posted about it on my blog. It's great! I've done it 2x now - once for me and once for friend. We both wore a size 1 in rayon jersey - note: it's big. The arm holes are high / small though. Doesn't bother me because I am small boned and narrow. But others have mentioned it in their reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I miss that dress pattern? It's very cute and looks ideal for summertime.I hope BMV has another sale soon!

    And yes, buy that sweater in the other color. It's very cute and will look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Kim's comments. 'Good enough is great!'
    I sure hope your closet thrives soon with feel-good clothes.
    By the way, I loved that pink jacket, the colour was lovely on you. Maybe you need to find some pink knit??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do tell us, Myrna, where you found such a cool sweater for $25.99. I do not own a Calvin Klein top, but I have purchased their bottoms at Costco and like them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you should make that dress. I bought that pattern after K-Line made it and couldn't believe I missed it the first time around. Haven't made it yet. But if I had time in the sewing room I would. It is not great on waist definition but it has been so hot here this summer that I'm all for fun and summery.

    ReplyDelete